New Apple User!

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I have been a PC user/programmer all my life, and was always impressed by Apple's Inginuity.

Decades ago sitting down infront of an apple at a local Kinkos in Florida, was impressed that the Apple could actually Cut and Paste information into different programs, this was unheard of in the PC world!

2009 Feb. I have just purchased my first Apple Product, and New Macbook Pro. I really love it! Apple really knows how to do things right! Of course I will be using windows on it as well.

Any advice on how large I should make my Windows Partition compared to my Mac Partition?

Wonderful Machine!

Cheers,

Rocc

Reaction score
You would set your partition as large as you believe you will need. As a seasoned Windows user you should be somewhat familiar with your own disk space needs.

And a quick FYI - Windows has had a shared clipboard since way back in Windows 1.0 in 1985. It was basic, and only allowed for text, but it was there.

OP
R
Reaction score
You would set your partition as large as you believe you will need. As a seasoned Windows user you should be somewhat familiar with your own disk space needs.

And a quick FYI - Windows has had a shared clipboard since way back in Windows 1.0 in 1985. It was basic, and only allowed for text, but it was there.

Thank you SubZero for your help.

Actually don't know much about how MAC read/write files on PC Partitions, that is why I asked as well.

The time I was speaking off was actually before the PC had Windows.

There was no such clipboard in DOS. :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
The time I was speaking off was actually before the PC had Windows.

There was no such clipboard in DOS. :)
So your little cheap "dig" on the PC is covering a timeframe of about one year, from 1984 to 1985. And I'm curious how powerful the Mac's clipboard was in that timeframe as well. If you so vividly remember one year back in the early 80's.. Wow.

Just as now, Apple knew how to make money. With a PC you bought Windows to get a shared clipboard. With Apple, you trashed your Apple II and bought a Mac. A couple hundred dollar purchase versus a several thousand dollar one.

But hey, copy/paste!

OP
R
Reaction score
So your little cheap "dig" on the PC is covering a timeframe of about one year, from 1984 to 1985. And I'm curious how powerful the Mac's clipboard was in that timeframe as well. If you so vividly remember one year back in the early 80's.. Wow.

Just as now, Apple knew how to make money. With a PC you bought Windows to get a shared clipboard. With Apple, you trashed your Apple II and bought a Mac. A couple hundred dollar purchase versus a several thousand dollar one.

But hey, copy/paste!

Yeah My memory is pretty good with most things. LOL.

Not sure if I was using my Commodore 64, or my IBM PS2 30/286, which I still have actually in storage, and still works. lol.

Not remembering the exact dates, all that I remembered was in that Kinkos, the Apple that i was using to Cut and Paste was Amazing, such a simple feature, but it was awesome.

I was also fascinated by the Actual Eject Key on the Apples to Eject the Floppy.

Just wanted to say, Nice Job Apple!

Cheers!

Rocc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I'm guessing you're not old enough to have been using computers that long ago, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, Windows 1.0 had an application-neutral clipboard, but it only supported Windows applications, and there were no Windows applications, not in 1985, not even years later. The programs people used were DOS programs. WordPerfect (which most people used) didn't come to Windows until the 1990s. Word didn't come to Windows until 1989. Same story with Excel or Lotus 1-2-3.

Since most programs were DOS programs, most people ran straight-up DOS without Windows. Nobody used Windows 1.0. Or 2.0, for that matter.

Meanwhile, all Macintosh applications had support for the system Clipboard from day one.

So, yes, if you're a kid who's reading old copies of PC Magazine, you might think that, yes, Macs and PCs had the same features at about the same time. But if you were actually out of diapers and using PCs at that time, you would indeed have been impressed at how powerful the Macintosh clipboard was in 198-whatever.

If you're a kid who wasn't there, you might think that, based on reading old spec sheets, you could have just bought a copy of Windows 1 off the shelf and magically transformed your PC into a GUI-based, multitasking, clipboard-sharing machine.

If you were an actual computer user in 1985, you would likely have thought Windows was an interesting product, but not very useful. Too slow, no available software. Oh, and you probably didn't own a mouse, either.

Maybe a year or two later, you would have bought a brand new 386, for two or three thousand dollars (PCs were more expensive then) but still kept running DOS, since there were still no programs for it.

In 1992 or 1992, you would have bitten the bullet, plopped down a couple thousand more dollars, and bought a shiny new 486 with Windows 3.1. Then, you'd have finally gotten your clipboard, and the software to use it with. (Oh, yeah, you'd have had to buy upgrades from the DOS versions, too. And that was several hundred more.)

But I don't expect you to have known that. Anyone who had lived through that time period would know better, but I can see that you didn't.

Reaction score
Yes, Windows 1.0 had an application-neutral clipboard, but it only supported Windows applications, and there were no Windows applications, not in 1985, not even years later. The programs people used were DOS programs. WordPerfect (which most people used) didn't come to Windows until the 1990s. Word didn't come to Windows until 1989. Same story with Excel or Lotus 1-2-3.
This is a good argument, except in 1984 there weren't exactly a lot of Mac apps either. So that shared clipboard was sharing.. what? We're basically talking about two systems where the shared clipboard copied and pasted between the apps they came with.
Since most programs were DOS programs, most people ran straight-up DOS without Windows. Nobody used Windows 1.0. Or 2.0, for that matter.
The comment the OP made was that PC's with shared clipboards decades ago was "unheard of" but heck, *I* knew they did it.

Meanwhile, all Macintosh applications had support for the system Clipboard from day one.
And no support for anything *but* Mac apps. The number of DOS apps that couldn't use the clipboard in 1985 was greater than the total number of Mac apps that existed in 1985.
But I don't expect you to have known that. Anyone who had lived through that time period would know better, but I can see that you didn't.
You are certainly entitled to believe what you want to believe. The anonymous nature of the internet allows for that.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm guessing you're not old enough to have been using computers that long ago, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

So, yes, if you're a kid who's reading old copies of PC Magazine, you might think that, yes, Macs and PCs had the same features at about the same time. But if you were actually out of diapers and using PCs at that time, you would indeed have been impressed at how powerful the Macintosh clipboard was in 198-whatever.

If you're a kid who wasn't there, you might think that, based on reading old spec sheets, you could have just bought a copy of Windows 1 off the shelf and magically transformed your PC into a GUI-based, multitasking, clipboard-sharing machine.

If you were an actual computer user in 1985, you would likely have thought Windows was an interesting product, but not very useful. Too slow, no available software. Oh, and you probably didn't own a mouse, either.

Maybe a year or two later, you would have bought a brand new 386, for two or three thousand dollars (PCs were more expensive then) but still kept running DOS, since there were still no programs for it.

In 1992 or 1992, you would have bitten the bullet, plopped down a couple thousand more dollars, and bought a shiny new 486 with Windows 3.1. Then, you'd have finally gotten your clipboard, and the software to use it with. (Oh, yeah, you'd have had to buy upgrades from the DOS versions, too. And that was several hundred more.)

Thank you Technologist,

Your post really brings back some good memories. :)

Cheers!

Rocc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.