Not a Question about Digital

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello all! I'm an amateur/experimental photographer from Indiana. My main camera is a Nikon D60 (Don't hate! It was cheap...) but I recently inherited a Ricoh KR-5 Super from my fiancee's father. I'm not overly familiar with film photography, but I'm looking to get into it more. Now to my question:

I'm having a heck of a time finding any information on this camera! He thinks it was made around 1979ish...but he's not sure. I'm hoping that maybe some of you guys might have experience with this camera or a similar one. It has a couple of great lenses and I'm really excited to go pick up some film and try it out. Thanks guys and gals.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I used Ricohs back in college - good little cameras, you might want to try black and white photography if you can find a place that still processes it, or maybe set-up your own darkroom for an added chalenge

The manual can be found here

Ricoh KR-5 SUPER II

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15"
Pictures

I took a look at some of your pictures, you have a very appreciative eye.

I will keep looking for more information on your Ricoh, is it a Super or Super II or Super III camera?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the nice thing about film cameras is that the actual camera only accounts for a fraction of the end result - film, film processing, and printing being the other portion. so as long as the optics aren't garbage, you should be able to get a decent photo (as long as you can focus properly with your own eye and get your exposure right (assuming any metering in the camera is probably weak or non-existant). bracket like your life depended on it.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I took a look at some of your pictures, you have a very appreciative eye.

I will keep looking for more information on your Ricoh, is it a Super or Super II or Super III camera?

Thanks! That made my day! Also, it is the original Super. It seems to be in great working condition.

the nice thing about film cameras is that the actual camera only accounts for a fraction of the end result - film, film processing, and printing being the other portion. so as long as the optics aren't garbage, you should be able to get a decent photo (as long as you can focus properly with your own eye and get your exposure right (assuming any metering in the camera is probably weak or non-existant). bracket like your life depended on it.

Thanks for the info! It does have a metering system which consists of an "eyelet" in the viewfinder that has to line up with the line that moves depending on the amount of light and my shutter speed. It's a really fun learning experience...I just don't have 12 bucks to spend right now on film and developing. But I will soon. Thanks for all the info guys.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4GBram 500GB HD
On a previous message the manual was attached (in case you did not have it).
The main things to watch on cameras of this time are:
  • You have to set the "film speed". This is explained on image 12 of the manual. Initially you should set it exactly as the film maker indicates. Latter on, when using black and white, you can "push" the film... which is a whole different topic.
  • The camera recommends you shoot at 1/125 of a second. This is noted by the different color in that speed. This is because at lower speeds your images might come out blurry (which also happens with digital cameras)
  • With a fixed speed you rotate the aperture ring until the "circle" on the left side of the finder is lit.
  • You have three helpers for focusing, the split image spot, the microprism collar and the matte surface. In my opinion this is the order in which you should use them, the split image is the best, the matte surface leaves all to you.
Which lenses do you have?

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a previous message the manual was attached (in case you did not have it).
The main things to watch on cameras of this time are:
  • You have to set the "film speed". This is explained on image 12 of the manual. Initially you should set it exactly as the film maker indicates. Latter on, when using black and white, you can "push" the film... which is a whole different topic.
  • The camera recommends you shoot at 1/125 of a second. This is noted by the different color in that speed. This is because at lower speeds your images might come out blurry (which also happens with digital cameras)
  • With a fixed speed you rotate the aperture ring until the "circle" on the left side of the finder is lit.
  • You have three helpers for focusing, the split image spot, the microprism collar and the matte surface. In my opinion this is the order in which you should use them, the split image is the best, the matte surface leaves all to you.
Which lenses do you have?

I'm not familiar with these brands, so bear with me, haha.

Lense 1: Gemini MC Auto 1:2.8 f=28mm lense. Diameter of 49mm
Lense 2: Takumar (Bayonet) 1:2.5 135mm (This one is really nice. Good zoom and cleaner glass)

I'm working my way through the manual now. I think it might be for the Super II though. Most of the directions and such still apply though. Thanks for all of your help.

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
That looks like a really cool camera.

I still love shooting with film, I've found there are plenty of labs around if you spend the time looking for a good one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.