Noobie Questions!

Reaction score
Hello guys!
Well, I’m thinking of switching to a Mac and I have some noobie questions!

1. I was wondering if software, like the Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office have the same interface on a Mac. Also, are they operating the same or do I have to relearn some things?

2. The files that I have on my PC, like Photoshop files (psd), Flash (fla) and Word (doc) can be opened on a Mac?

3. How about my fonts? (ttf and otf) Do they work on a Mac?

Finally, since I am leaning towards buying an iMac, I have some things to ask about it.

4. Any news on when a new one will come out? I would like one that at least matches my PC’s specs and I’ve heard that new models come out quite frequently.

5. Also can I connect an iMac with my TV? I know it hasn’t got an HDMI for hidef, but is there another way?

6. Also, they speak about a modem on the website, that’s just for dial-up right? Is there WiFi?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
1) the interface generally looks a little different because it takes on the native gui of MacOS, but overall it's the same as far as functionality goes, some shortcuts are different (eg I never quite understood the shortcut for Feather in PS :D ), but even then most of the time it just changes to cmd instead of ctrl

2) you can open any file absolutely fine, for some reason people tend to think of the Mac as something completely different, ironically you can read much more than on Windows

3) what fonts are you referring to? inside of word-processing or photoshop? I think you have a very similar "palette" of fonts as on Windows, but overall the MacOS uses antialiasing on the fonts so they are much smoother and sometimes people have trouble adjusting

4) there are only rumors :)

5) you can use adapters along the lines of DVI to Svideo/composite, not much of a problem, just depends on what you have available on your tv

6) you mean the iMac? it has a built in AirPort Extreme wifi .. it's under Connectivity in the Specs

sorry for just spitting out the different point and not making up some sort of a story or something :D

hope it helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. Not exactly the same, although Adobe's software is pretty identical across platforms, while office differs in more interface elements (some would even say Office for mac is better than its windows cousin)

2. Yes of course they can especially since.....

3. Your OFT and TTF fonts will work on the Mac without conversion, I would recommend Linotype's free FontExplorer over OSX's own fontbook app for managing fonts

4. The iMac is due for a refresh - the current models have received a speed boost latelly

5. Someone else can help you out on this one - tho I am sure it can be done

6. The modem is for dial up, and yes, Wifi is built in

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answers guys!
It seems things will be easier than I thought!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.