upcoming music producer

Reaction score
hey im an beginner at music production and i was wonder whats the best ibook i should get to run programs like garageband and logic studio on. i dont want anything thats too fancy and wont cost me alot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook - 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo - 2 GB RAM - 250 GB HDD
I don't have too much experience with audio production but I am fairly certain that these programs are processor intensive and an ibook would probably not suit your needs. If you aren't looking to spend much and portability isn't an issue I would recommend a desktop pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
For Logic or GarageBand, I'm confident the new MacBooks would be adequate for audio production. There are a few things to consider though when going Mac (or more accurately, MacBook) with music production:

- The new MacBook does not have a firewire port. I personally don't think this is a big issue as there are plenty of excellent USB audio interfaces available, but if you plan on using a firewire interface or external hard drive for your samples, you'll be out of luck. Getting a MacBook Pro would fix this as the Pro has firewire, but that doesn't sound practical for your price range.

- Logic Pro and GarageBand both use the audio plugin format called Audio Units (AU). There is nothing wrong with AUs, but Logic and GarageBand ONLY support them and do not offer native support for the more popular VST format. If you plan on using VST interments, you'll be out of luck unless they can be converted to AU (someone has probably posted the program on the forum somewhere, the name slips my mind at the moment). This usually isn't TOO big of a deal; however, since most professional audio plugin companies make their products in both VST and AU format. Many free plugins are VST though.

Just some things to consider, but tell us what you choose and how your experience goes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.