Which Digital camera?

Reaction score
Hey,
Im trying to decide what digital camera to buy in the next few weeks!!!

I am on a limited budget after buying 2laptops (my primary one being iBook)

I have about $260 to spend. I was thinking of getting a sony on ebay.

But I am not sure.

open to suggestions!!

Thanks

:cool:

J

Jason

dcresource.com is a wonderful site for digicams :D Personally, if I were you, I'd go with a Canon A series for that budget.

W

Wapa18

yeah, i have a canon powershot A85, and it's great...it can even survive an 8 foot drop onto concrete as i unfortunately found out. it cost me $280 when i got it, but i've seen them on sale for $250 recently. or if you don't need 4 megapixels, the A75 only costs about $200, and is 3.2 megapixels.

K

kingcrowing2

I have a Nikon coolpix 5400, 5MP... $300, i dunno if you can find them anymore, i got mine with a $200 rebate ($500 original price) but its **** nice, i like it a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey,

I have just bought a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73S Camera. Haven't got it yet (still in post) but from all the reviews on Amazon and the research i have done on it it looks like a pretty good camera for its money. its 4.1 Mega Pixels, 3X Optical Zoom, 2X Digital Zoom (& loads more stuff) and can even record video with sound! (cost me £129)

Here's the link to it if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...ics/B00022LVDG/pictures/1/202-6891288-7650235

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Echo_ said:
stick with real camera companies, go with canon or nikon

& whats wrong with sony like? :eek:

Reaction score
MrChris said:
& whats wrong with sony like? :eek:
They say that the colours from sony cameras are not that close to mother natures and then their is the issue with the memory sticks, which are expensive because they are only made by sony (This may have changed by now if your lucky, I'm not sure). Sony tend to make products that only use Sony extras, this is a known Sony downside. :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 Sonnet 1.0 512 Ram 10.3.6
If I were you I would definitely go with Canon. I've always been a huge fan of Canon. I have a A series Camera 3.2 and it's great. The pictures come out really nice and crisp.

On a another note we had to a project for work Friday. This chic that was my partner used her Sony camera to take pictures. Quite honestly I was impressed. The pictures came out pretty **** clear.

J

Jason

Sony makes the optics for 90% of the cameras out there. They are a real camera company :D Sony, Canon and Leica are the major optics players (camera body aside).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks Sony supporters, I was worrying then thinking that i (a poor student) had just forked out £129 on a camera that was "crap".

Ill submit a little mini-review once i have used it for a while if it will help anyone?

Cheers,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
For the price, Canon seems like the way to go. If I had an unlimited amount of money I might get an EOS digital SLR, or a Fuji, or a Nikon.

G

Garrett

I sold Cameras at Best Buy for a year, hated every minute I was in the store, but learned a lot. You def. want to stick with Canon or Nikon. Fuji is a good camera as well because of their octagonal pixels instead of the traditional rectangle pixels. You can pick up the Fuji A340 for $200 retail, probably $150 ish on eBay. Remember the camera is just the beginning, you still need an upgrade memory card, reason being, the memory card that comes with it is only good for 9-20 pictures at highest resolution. Depends on compression. Also, if you get a camera that uses AA's, get rechargable battries, or else in a time frame of a year, you have spent the price of the camera on battries.

--Garrett

E

Echo_

alright.... when you see presss people at sports games etc

they either have nikon or canon cameras....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Echo_ said:
alright.... when you see presss people at sports games etc

they either have nikon or canon cameras....

That does'nt mean to say Sony is not a "Real" Camera Company. They have been making cameras and Video-Cameras for years now so i reckon they know what they are doing just as well as Canon or Nikon. Not to say Sony is better, but its not Crap either.

E

Echo_

im not saying its crap its just theyre not as good as canon or nikons for the price

only thing i like about sony in the camera industry is there vid cameras

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Yeah they do have some wicked video cameras out now. High Definition ones if im not mistaken.

We use Nikon Cameras at University that cost around £1000 each! You can do loads of stuff with them! (They are deffinatley a professional-camera)

But Personally, I think most digital cameras out today are of a high quality. Technology has moved on so fast now that it is aviliable to everyone, It's also getting alot cheaper than before! So there really is no excuse for a company to produce a poor quality digital camera. Same goes with anything technology-related really.

's just my two cents anyways,

Regards,

Chris,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.