• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

A Question For All You Keyboard *Piano* Players

Reaction score
My cousin wants to get a keyboard, but we have no idea what type to get. He wants it so we can play guitar and keyboard together, covering songs and stuff. Does anybody know what kind of keyboard/ accessories he should get? Price range is 300$ tops.

Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
Check out Casio's line of keyboards..

Something like these LK-270 - Lighted Keys - Musical Instruments - Products - CASIO or Portable - Musical Instruments - Products - Casio

They're relatively cheap and sound pretty good too.

Would we have to worry about this at all? I'll try to explain it the best I can. If you were to use garage band, you can use your keyboard and play the keyboard on there. You can pick from different sections of the whole piano you want to play in *since all the keys can't fit on one thing*. So he would be in 1 section of the keyboard playing a part of the song, but then the song needs a higher note, so he would have to use the mouse to scroll up and change to the section and change back, messing up the legato. Would he had to worry about not having enough keys for a certain note or anything like that?

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Edit: Also, for that first keyboard... It says touch sensative. Does that mean you don't have to push the keys down or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay, what you're thinking of is a software synth/midi controller, basically a hardware keyboard that controlls the piano/synth stuff via MIDI (musical instrument digital interface).

Something like THIS would allow you to do so, in GarageBand, however, you would HAVE to have it hooked up to a computer to be able to use it. You wouldn't be able to get any sounds out of it if it weren't.

The ones I mentioned earlier are basically like digital pianos with different sounds, rhythms, kits, etc. By touch sensitive, it means that the harder you hit the keys, the louder the notes will play, it gives you a more realistic feel for dynamics while playing a piano.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
If you want a good piano sound, from my experience Yamaha's keyboards are closer to the real thing than Casio's. Also, get a sustain pedal to go with it -- those are pretty cheap (like maybe $15) and available at most music stores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.