ipod vs other mp3's

S

shel man

I see now that napster has a service for 16 bucks a month and all the songs you can upload, but it won't allow me to use my iBOOK G4. I don't have an mp3 yet, so I could get the Dell (I get a discount on those) but I still cant use my mac to get the songs, right? Anyone know of a better way other than getting a pc to be able to do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
I guess the only music store on an Apple is the iTunes. Its kinda like an Apple monopoly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
You wouldn't want to use the Napster service anyways, since you're just renting the songs, and as soon as you stop renting, they will stop working.. so basically just throwing your money away in my opinion...

OP
M

meltbanana314

shel man said:
I didn't realize that.

Yeah, it's totally misleading. It's at the fine print at the bottom of the television advertisments.

With iTunes, you pay for your songs - you own them, and you can stop paying Apple whenever you want and you still get to keep them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't want anything to do with Napster at all. If I pay that much for music I want to own it not rent it. I will stick with Itunes store on both my Macs and PC's.

OP
W

Wilymon

you might also like to try out www.emusic.com, i dont use it but i've considered checking them out. its kinda like napster, you pay a monthly fee but you dont pay to rent the songs, you pay for a number of downloads for that month. i think one package is $10 a month for 40 downloads (which comes out to 25 cents a song), and the other one is $20 a month for 90 downloads (which comes out to 22 cents a song). so you end up saving 75 cents per song when compared to itunes. i've yet to try it, but i hear the selection isnt all that great unless you like small indie bands (which i do). theres a free trial with 50 free downloads! not too shabby if you ask me. the best part??? none of the songs are copyprotected, just pure, honest mp3s that work on any mp3 player.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
eMusic seems reasonable. At least, it seems that you do not have to worry, if you have the right mp3 player or operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.