New guy needs recommendations

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently switched from a PC to an iMac. I bought a used iMac (1.83 ghz, 512 mb of SDRAM) and upgraded the memory to 2 gb. It's up and running very smoothly, which I'm not used to since I'm coming from the world of PCs. Anyway, I wanted some software recommendations for the following...

Video editing software for a beginner: Do you recommend I use iMovie 09? I've played with it and I like it, but I was wondering your thoughts.

Photo editing software for a beginner: PS Elements 6? I'm not doing anything crazy; pretty much just cropping people's heads off and whatnot.

Easy, but professional looking, web design software: I'm not a coder, so I don't want anything crazy, but I don't want a crappy looking site either. I haven't used iWeb yet. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Joe

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It depends on you're needs. For simple and basic video editing, iMovie should do the trick.

For photo editing, try Seashore. It's free (and OSS) and if you only need to do the basics, it should work fine for you.

For web design, it depends how much control you want over the product and how much you are willing to pay (if anything). I don't design web pages myself but I have heard good things about both Coda and RapidWeaver.

Reaction score
I am fairly new to Mac's. I just got the new iLife 09 an really like it. It has a new version of iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb and Garage Band.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In lieu of PS Elements, I would highly recommend Pixelmator. It's 100% Cocoa-based and takes full advantage of the GPU in your Mac. Very slick and it gives PS Elements a run for its money.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Any review of Pixelmator I have read has said nothing but mostly bad things. To be fair though, I've never used it myself so YMMV.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.