Took the plunge - Now some questions

Reaction score
I just ordered the following: Unibody MBP 15"..W/ 2.8 C2D and 7200 RPM HD
24 "Cinema Display
Time Capsule
Various other goodies - Including CS4 extended

Everything will be here by the end of the week or early the following week and I'd like to be ready so I have the first of what I am sure will be MANY questions considering I have been a PC user for 25 years.

- I have a WD Mybook 500GB drive with my backup files on it (MS Office)....I will be using them on the new MBP. Can I use that drive to copy the files to my MBP? I used Memeo backup to back it up...Will that transfer over or should I just re-copy the files using drag and drop and then copy over the the new machine?

- I've never backed up my Itunes (I dont think)...How do I move my Itunes music library over? Will my account work on the new computer for downloads etc...?

- I'd like to save my "Favorites" websites from IE....Is there an easy way to import them to Safari or should I just E-Mail myself the links and save from there?

I've been thinking about this move to MAC since before the new laptops were released...I waited for those and then thought maybe an IMAC and a MB....So I waited for the new IMAC's...(And waited......) Now I think one machine will be better and this ought to be plenty powerful enough to last me awhile...All I really do is CS4, MS Office, internet, music.....I'm excited...But the transition from one up and running computer to the other has me a little nervous....Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
- I have a WD Mybook 500GB drive with my backup files on it (MS Office)....I will be using them on the new MBP. Can I use that drive to copy the files to my MBP? I used Memeo backup to back it up...Will that transfer over or should I just re-copy the files using drag and drop and then copy over the the new machine?
From the looks of their website, they have a Mac client. My advice though would be to simply copy the file over without the use of backup software.

- I've never backed up my Itunes (I dont think)...How do I move my Itunes music library over? Will my account work on the new computer for downloads etc...?
Copy the folder where you're iTunes library is located right now. If you don't know where that is, right click a song and select "Get Info" and look at the bottom of the "Summary" tab.

- I'd like to save my "Favorites" websites from IE....Is there an easy way to import them to Safari or should I just E-Mail myself the links and save from there?
Sorry, I don't know how Safari handles IE favourites.

Best of luck and enjoy your new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.53 Ghz Unibody Late '09 Macbook Pro w/ 500G 7200RPM HD & 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.20Ghz I3 & iPhone 4
For the issue with your favorites, I use Foxmarks. They used to be just a plugin for Firefox, but now support IE, Firefox, and Safari. I have 4 computers synchronized, with all browsers and computers sharing the same, most up to date bookmarks. Home | Foxmarks, and no, I am not affiliated with them. Just a happy user ! Darren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.