How to: Maximize your Browser windows.

Reaction score
Do you know that there is a way to maximize your browser windows? While browsing the net' today, I found this code:

<html>
<body>
<title>maximize</title>
<a href="javascript:moveTo(0,0);resizeTo(3000,3000);">Maximize </a>
</body>
</html>

It resizes your windows to "full screen." As if you were to expand your windows in Vista/XP.

Original link: Maximize your browser window on a Mac
(Contains original code, but I cleaned it up.)

Just letting everyone know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Part of using OSX is knowing that you don't have to always "Maximize" the window you're working in, nor feel as if you have to make it work like Winblows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Firefox's default behavior is to maximize the window when you click the green button anyway. It's just Safari that behaves differently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
1. Pay $$$ for widescreen monitor
2. Find a way to fill your widescreen monitor with a single webpage that would have fit on your old 1024 x 768 tube ten years ago
3. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You forgot 4. Profit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
yea firefox does it automatically...safari likes to be diferent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram
The whole point of OSX is to be able to multi-task very quickly and be very efficient in getting work done, thats why safari doesn't have a "maximize" feature. I switched from PC to MAC and I will never go back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I'm sorry but I do prefer to have my browser always maximized if I need to switch quick I will use command tab or expose all windows on my mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I'm sorry but I do prefer to have my browser always maximized if I need to switch quick I will use command tab or expose all windows on my mouse.

It's ok.....not everyone can be perfect. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mmm. Big white spaces and text lines that are over a foot wide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I can understand not wanting to maximize all your windows in OS X, since it's better designed to work without them maximized, but what I don't get is the green button. It doesn't seem to do anything other than move and resize the window at random. In Windows, the maximize button at least performs a consistent function - it maximizes and then restores the window to its original size and position.

Reaction score
I can understand not wanting to maximize all your windows in OS X, since it's better designed to work without them maximized, but what I don't get is the green button. It doesn't seem to do anything other than move and resize the window at random. In Windows, the maximize button at least performs a consistent function - it maximizes and then restores the window to its original size and position.

actually, its not random , it resizes your window so that is just wide enough for the web page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
actually, its not random , it resizes your window so that is just wide enough for the web page.

In my experience, pressing it once moves the browser window to be just left of the center of the screen and resizes it to take up about 2/3 of the width and the full height. Subsequent presses do not restore the window to its original settings; instead, they simply switch between reducing the height of the browser window and keeping it at the full height.

And that's only for Safari. In Finder, it behaves differently. Supposedly it makes it the right size to fit the contents, but it seems more random than that, and subsequent presses only restore the original positioning some of the time. In iTunes, it switches between the normal and the mini player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
weird....

In my experience, pressing it once moves the browser window to be just left of the center of the screen and resizes it to take up about 2/3 of the width and the full height. Subsequent presses do not restore the window to its original settings; instead, they simply switch between reducing the height of the browser window and keeping it at the full height.

And that's only for Safari. In Finder, it behaves differently. Supposedly it makes it the right size to fit the contents, but it seems more random than that, and subsequent presses only restore the original positioning some of the time. In iTunes, it switches between the normal and the mini player.

You're absolutely right! That is so weird - I never knew that! (about Safari). I don't usually maximize my windows, so that's why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.