Which laptop for basic interenet use?

Reaction score
We currently have a Compaq Presario S3100NX that is about 7 years old. We are thinking of making the switch sometime this year. Our computer use consists of emailing and general surfing and downloading photos. We generally don't watch movies/T.V. shows online. I played a DVD about two weeks ago and had no problems.

Our current computer has given us no problems whatsoever. But it's time for a laptop and our friends who have Macs have said make the switch you'll love it. About the only thing we're looking for is something that will be fast with AT@T DSL. We will not go back to Comcast broadband.

My wife would like a 17" Macbook Pro. I was looking at Powerbook G4's due to the price difference. We both like the 17" screens, but would probably settle for a 15".

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have he money go with the MacBook Pro

But the Macbook is much cheaper and a very good laptop, now that is has a proper graphics processor.

Want to save a bit more?, the older white macbook has now been updated, ditching the integrated graphics chip and getting the same graphics accelerator as the newest Macbooks

If you are near an apple reseller or store, go in and play to see which one will be good for you

Reaction score
for what you want you dont need the computing power of a mb pro. any of the current macbooks will be fine for what you want, and if the screen size is an issue you could use the money you saved (from not getting a 17in mb pro) to buy a 24in cinema display for the macbook. if you dont need portability though, i advise an iMac, has this been a help?

Reaction score
For what you are doing, you won't need a Macbook Pro at all. It is not worth the price for only web surfing and seeing Photos. If you want laptop, Macbook is pretty good choice for new Mac. If desktop, iMac 24" is cool. Or if you prefer, go find a old powerbook G4, I have one and doing pretty good for the purpose. My new iMac 24" is amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Well, you COULD get a macbook air, but they are overpriced for less performance. Instead, you could buy an updated white macbook (only 1000$) like louishen said. You could then buy either a 20" or 24" external Monitor and have a nice big screen with a really good valued laptop :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Any computer would be fine for basic internet usage.
Even an older iBook or PowerBook would more than suit that need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
If you're planning on keeping it awhile, go for a refurbished MacBook 13" with Applecare. If not, I wouldn't switch and i'd go for a netbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.