First Every Mac After Switching from PC

Reaction score
At about 6pm today was when it finally happened. After coming to the point that I no longer cared about running Windows I just wanted to throw my PC out the Window I finally broke and went to buy a Mac. Yes I suppose I'd always liked the look of Mac but sought solace in the fact my Mac User Colleague couldn't right click his mouse. A thin arguement I admit but I clung to it nonetheless...

The whole experience of buying a Mac was something different. The salesman clearly believed in the product, so much so at one point I thought he wanted to buy it back off me. He wanted to show me all the features how it had webcam built in the voice activation, apparantly if your feeling sad not only will it tell you a joke but it will go online and order you some prozak.... so he seemed absolutely stunned when I stopped him in mid flight and said, yes very good but does it have DOS ? He was so shocked I felt I had to explain, you see I used to spend more time in DOS than the actual operating system on my PC, fixing registry errors, removing rootkits , disabling DCOM, unsafe Services, removing Trojans and not to mention anti-virus scans.... I tailed off and he went to check.

He came back looking very glum worried his sale was falling apart, I am sorry Sir it doesn't have Dos, it runs off something called UNIX. I didn't hesitate "Say no more I am buying it!!". Unix of course beeing far superiour to Dos which I did later explain. No wonder my colleague had breezed through his day on his UNIX Platform Sleek Bloody Steve Jobs iMac and looked on pitifully as I hacked away in Dos trying to get my PC to work (the *******). Howether I intend to get my own back tommorow , I am going to fake a powercut cause I got lights under my Macbook Keyboard.....

If any of you guys could point a new user in the direction of following (opensource preferable) FTP/SCP/Putty Program, A really Good Text Editor and EXCELL CSV program for Mac I would be really gratefull.... :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If any of you guys could point a new user in the direction of following (opensource preferable) FTP/SCP/Putty Program, A really Good Text Editor and EXCELL CSV program for Mac I would be really gratefull.... :D

Open Office for the Mac go here. That will take care of Excel, CSV, plus much more.

A great free text editor go here. Funny name but it's a great text editor.

Have fun with your new Mac.

Regards.

Reaction score
The free application, TextWrangler, does most of what you'll ever need a text editor to do. Its big brother, BBedit ($), has more advanced features. Textmate ($) is also quite capable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.