My First Macbook

Reaction score
Hello

Am new to this and indeed new to apple mac's.

I ordered my first new Alummium Macbook 2.4GB 4GB Ram 320GB Hard drive on Thursday and cant wait for it to be delivered (15th Feb).

Just wondering if there is any tip's from you guy's when i first start it up if there should be anything you would recommend to do?

And also was it a good choice to upgade my Ram an Hard drive? will i notice the diffence?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Unless you're doing intensive stuff, you might not notice the RAM difference but it's always the best option to future proof you MB. The HD upgrade is a no brainer as it's always nice to have more space!
I suggest downloading a program called OnyX which is will help keep your system running clean.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
make sure you charge the battery fully, and then within a month or so, make sure to do a full discharge and recharge to calibrate the battery (search battery calibration on apple.com for specifics).

others will also probably tell you to create a second noon-administrator account and then use that as your primary account to keep things like the occasional trojan from taking advantage of your admin access.

Onyx, like True Bassist said, is a great app. good for periodic cleaning of your caches and log files, especially if you don't leave the mac up and running 24 hours a day (which allows OSX to perform it's own maintenance in the early morning).

get a good feel for the included apps before you feel the need to find alternatives. you may not like everything right off the bat, and some things are sure to feel a bit off. but some will grow on you and others won't.

oh, and if you have a need to rename multiple files at once, try a little app called renamer4mac - it's one of my favorite apps, very robust and free.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some advice on how to do a dual boot on my macintosh. I dont want to get another laptop just to have xp os. I am working as a system analyst hence i still have to deal with XP. Has anyone tried triple os? such as Xp and Linux as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
You will love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White
Get VMware Fusion for running multiple operating systems inside OS X at the same time. I use it and its great for XP and I know it will work with Vista and Linux too. Only thing I havenet been able to find for XP inside fusion are the video card drivers. The ones on the bootcamp disk dont seem to work..

Andi

Reaction score
Is VMware Fusion a freeware? It seems it is only having a trial version.
Can u advice. Thanks bro.

Get VMware Fusion for running multiple operating systems inside OS X at the same time. I use it and its great for XP and I know it will work with Vista and Linux too. Only thing I havenet been able to find for XP inside fusion are the video card drivers. The ones on the bootcamp disk dont seem to work..

Andi

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Came this week and i can honestly say i havent been off it since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.