Will an iMac24 do the job for me?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I a newbie and this is my first post.

I'm on the point of switching from Windows XP based PC to Mac and I'm looking for some help with the following questions.

My computer usage is based around photography, digital art, video, music, audio visual and web design. Currently I'm using Photoshop CS, Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere, Dreamweaver, Camtasia Studio plus Microsoft Office.

When I switch I will be able to purchase the Mac version of cs4 and I will also be getting Aperture. However I won't be able to afford to buy the Mac versions of the other software for the time being. I therfore aim to use VMware with windows XP home edition for the other software.

Q1a. Will an iMac 3.06 GHz be capable of doing this?

Q1b Would you recommend upgrading the RAM to 4 Mb?

Q2. I currently have 11 usb devices connected to my PC (2 printers, 2 scanners, 4 external hard drives, external DVD burner, microphone and graphics tablet). Will it be OK to connect all these to the imac using two 7 port usb hubs? This would leave me some spare ports for the connection of USB drives, card reader, camera etc when necessary. (Conventional PC wisdom is that you should not connect hard drives or DVD writers via hubs)

Q3 All my hard drives (mainly containing photos) are formatted to NTFS. Is this going to be a problem? - I've read somewhere that Macs treat NTFS drives as read only.

I would be very grateful for any help you can give me.

Thanks,

ZQ

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Q1a. Yes. The processor is the same as that in any Windows machine you would purchase. There are plenty of folks doing it on less.

Q1b. Yes

Q2. You should verify that the printers, scanners and tablet you're using have drivers available for the Mac (via the manufacturers web site) in order not to be rudely awakened with another cost after the fact. As to 11 USB devices, can't answer that. Have never connected that many to any of my systems. I would "assume" that these are powered hubs?

Q3. OS X can read, but not write to NTFS. You'll need to either reformat the drives or use a 3rd party program such as Paragon's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I still don't understand why people ask these sorts of questions...a Mac is a computer and can do everything Windows can do... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Definitely upgrade your RAM to 4 GB, but don't have Apple do it for you. They will charge you roughly four times as much as it would cost to buy it and install it yourself (which is a five-minute procedure even if you're slow).

Go to NewEgg and get a 2x2 GB kit of DDR2-800 200-pin SO-DIMMs. Should run you around $40 (Apple charges $150 for the same thing).

OP
Z
Reaction score
I still don't understand why people ask these sorts of questions...a Mac is a computer and can do everything Windows can do... :p

Hmmmm........ the problem is my current PC is a similar spec to the imac 24 and it doesn't run Photoshop very well particularly when using other things like Lightroom at the same time!

So please don't be surprised when potential switchers ask what seem to you to be really dumb questions:)

The fact that you are surprised is very heartening to me as it would appear that even a relatively lowly speced machine like the imac can cope with demanding software and large file sizes without any problems.

Thanks to all who replied, particularly Mama for the info about RAM - I'll look for a supplier here in UK. Recommendations anyone?

Regards,

Zach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Zachary, you're talking about a 3gig cpu iMac with 4gigs of ram, I don't think that's a "lowly speced" machine, it's actually very fast and will handle everything you mentioned just fine

you mentioned running PS and Lightroom at the same time, both are very cpu intensive applications so if you throw some processing of very large files at them simultaniously then it will probably get a little choppy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
In terms of speed, you'll be surprised.

I easily find my C2D 2.1 Ghz MB with 1GB of ram (before I upgraded) faster than my Dual Core 2.4Ghz 2GB Ram PC.

Windows just screws everything up.

Reaction score
Hmmmm........ the problem is my current PC is a similar spec to the imac 24 and it doesn't run Photoshop very well particularly when using other things like Lightroom at the same time!

So please don't be surprised when potential switchers ask what seem to you to be really dumb questions:)

The fact that you are surprised is very heartening to me as it would appear that even a relatively lowly speced machine like the imac can cope with demanding software and large file sizes without any problems.

Thanks to all who replied, particularly Mama for the info about RAM - I'll look for a supplier here in UK. Recommendations anyone?

Regards,

Zach

Get your RAM from Crucial, cheap prices, high quality RAM and super fast delivery (Usually 24/48 hours)

Link for 4GB kit for the model you want (£41 inc VAT) Computer memory upgrades for Apple iMac 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (24-inch) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I think the Machine will work great for you. It is a bummer that it is such a huge spec jump from the iMac's and the Mac Pros but that your next option.

Overall I would think that it could handle it fine. I have a 2.4Ghz Aluminum Macbook with only 2gb's of Ram and normally run Mail, Safari (Like 5-10 tabs), Adium, Skype, Ventilo, Twirl, iTunes, iCal, iPhoto, iMovie 08, and the other normal stuff like Time Machine and Quicksilver all at the same time and have never had any problems. Everything is really Smooth. Although my Ram usage is normally at about 60-75%. I think I will upgrade the ram in the future. I am very surprised in the difference in my Macbook vs. My old windows Machine.

Overall I think a 3ghz processor and 4gb's of Ram will work for you :D

OP
Z
Reaction score
Zachary, you're talking about a 3gig cpu iMac with 4gigs of ram, I don't think that's a "lowly speced" machine, it's actually very fast and will handle everything you mentioned just fine

you mentioned running PS and Lightroom at the same time, both are very cpu intensive applications so if you throw some processing of very large files at them simultaniously then it will probably get a little choppy

My apologies, a poor choice of words. I'm only just beginning to realise just what an Apple can do!

I forget that a computers perfomance is greatly affected by the efficiency of its operating system and components and Windows Vista needs 2 gb ram just to run itself let alone anything else!

If I was buying a PC at this price level I would be looking at quad core 8mbs of ram a 1 gb video card etc etc.

Many thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. Ive had a chat 'with my local iStore and they are prepared to match the internet price of 2gb ram upgrade and install it for free. Thats about the only concession I was able to drag out of them!!

Zach

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.