• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

final cut exports always choppy - Transitions suck

Reaction score
Okay... I am trying to contain my rage here as I have literally been working on my first attempt at a video for WEEKS.

All I am trying to do is make a "guitar lesson" video for my students that I can upload to Youtube.

The main movies of me teaching are AVI format, but I wanted to make a little intro with music and clips of various guitarists playing (which I have downloaded from Youtube).

So I downloaded a bunch of clips from Youtube (in MPEG4 format) and loaded them into FCP. They played back choppy when exported. I was told on a forum to export to DV/DVCPRO, then back into FCP. For some reason this worked, but playback was still not that great.

I was then told (on another forum) that I am essentially blowing up, then recompressing needlessly by going from MPEG4 to DV, so what I should do is only use MPEG4s with the same size and pixel shape, then build a Uncompressed 8 bit Sequence and edit in that so it is virtualy lossless. This seems pretty retarded that FCP can't upscale/downscale without the final result looking like garbage, but whatever.

So I trashed all my clips that weren't 320 x 240 and I just kept the 320 x 240 ones (though their FPS's are all different, 29.97, 30, 15, etc... don't know if that matters).

So I edited these in an Uncompressed 8-bit sequence with a few "fade-to-black" transitions and some audio. Exported to MOV file using H.264 and... RIGHT BACK TO SQUARE ONE... the playback is choppy and the transitions look like absolute crap. All pixelated, like little cubes.

What the **** am I doing wrong?!?!?!? Can someone just walk me through how to do this? I never thought making a 5 minute intro with a few clips would be so unbelievably complicated!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.