Apple ibook data recovery

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an Apple ibook and the hard drive has crashed. The unit was under warranty and I was able to get the hard drive replaced quite easily. My issue is with the old hard drive. I have some pictures and stuff I would like to get off the old hard drive. Not being a Mac or Apple expert, I was wondering if anyone had any experience on doing this. I have heard that these hard drives have USB ports on them and I can just plug an USB cable into the old hard drive and it should show up like a removable device. I do not know if this is true. I have not been able to look at the bad hard drive yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Brett

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard drives do not have USB ports, computers do. What you may have been told is that the hard drive which was removed from your iBook could be put in a USB external case and attached to the computer that way.

However, if your hard drive crashed and can not be read it won't matter. The data is probably inaccessible. You can try placing it in an external USB case and see if it can be read. You might be lucky and can get some data copied from the drive. Otherwise trying to get at the data would be expensive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.