• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I make myself look "airbrushed" on Video like this girl?

Reaction score
ok please look at this girl's video

this is (before) her digital transformation

YouTube - VenetianPrincess Presents A New Product.... For Prisoners

vp2rv7.jpg

pay special attention to the tone of her skin and her face it looks like an average webcam video ...

but then suddenly as her videos got more popular and as she spent more and more time on her vids the quality of her videos drastically improved ALONG
with her physical appearance.

the lighting is extremely flattering it almost looks like an airbrushed picture how do u create this "airbrushed look" with a video program???

YouTube - Just A Vlog

59316967fd2.jpg

vp3lr2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Could possibly be that she got better at using makeup

OP
M
Reaction score
Could possibly be that she got better at using makeup

no its definitely not just the make up did u click on the video??
the lighting and the the colors and everything are completely different

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just watched the videos. Doesn't look like any video editing to improve lighting or the girl's look, just seems as though there was physically better lighting, a better camera was used, and that the girl has changed her appearance through makeup and styling.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just watched the videos. Doesn't look like any video editing to improve lighting or the girl's look, just seems as though there was physically better lighting, a better camera was used, and that the girl has changed her appearance through makeup and styling.

ok thanks for your 2 cents kash

anyone else?
am i delusional to notice that theres obviously more going on in her videos than just a simple change of lighting?

better yet this video demonstrates it better

YouTube - Miley Cyrus - 7 Things - Spoof

(compare her face to the faces of the girls she uses in the video. hers looks exageratedly cartoonish while the others look "normal")
that cant be just simple lighting technique?

she uses all kinds of video editing techniques to enhance her videos.
i definitely dont think that its a simple case of "better lighting make up"

i think what im trying to say is what kind of filter is she using to give herself that high contrast "Blown out" look? u can see that whatever filter she is using on her face it looks almost like an extremely airbrushed picture

high contrast , strong colors, and the skin tone doesnt appear "normal" it appears almost video game cartoon like...

how would you achieve this thru simple lighting technique? surely there is some kind of effect she is using on a video editing program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Kash is correct. The only major difference is the lighting.
Possibly a better camera as well, though lighting is one of the most crucial parts to a good quality video.
By no means is it a "simple" technique. Proper lighting can take a long time to set up, many times longer than the actual shooting time.
There are also things like setting white balance, iris settings, etc that make a video appear more "polished" than just a simple point and shoot recording.

The last video you posted used some very primitive and poorly done blue/green screening, but that wouldn't really contribute to the "airbrushed" look you are talking about.

It looks like a standard 3/4 point lighting set up with a very harsh key light and some bright fill lights. You can see this in the reflections in her eyes and glossy lips.

Software alone cannot increase video quality.
It's true that editing software can help with things like color correction and filters, but if the scene is lit properly, the need for editing of that nature will be minimal at best.

In short, the difference is a "simple" case of better lighting and makeup.
There is no software quick fix to improve an otherwise mediocre quality video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, it should be noted that the other girls look normal because their segments were shot in normal settings. As in, regular lighting, poor quality camera, and an obvious lack of makeup. If you applied the same lighting, makeup, and camera to those girls, they'd look quite similar.

OP
M
Reaction score
Kash is correct. The only major difference is the lighting.
Possibly a better camera as well, though lighting is one of the most crucial parts to a good quality video.
By no means is it a "simple" technique. Proper lighting can take a long time to set up, many times longer than the actual shooting time.
There are also things like setting white balance, iris settings, etc that make a video appear more "polished" than just a simple point and shoot recording.

what is an iris setting?

and what kind of lighting do u think she is using?

u dont think shes using any kind of "glow" filter on final cut pro or somethin to enhance the exposure or radiance of her face?

u know how in imovie u can adjust the exposure color, etc and make color and lightingt adjustments to a picture?
coudlnt u do the same thing in a vidoe editing program?

i really think theres more to it than just changing lighting
i mean shes using all these other video editing techniques its not crazy to think that shes using some kind of special filter to make herself look so glowy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've seen girls give their faces that glowing look simply by changing the flash setting on their cameras.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Come on guys, where's the "awesome" button on this thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
i really think theres more to it than just changing lighting
... its not crazy to think that shes using some kind of special filter to make herself look so glowy
Is it also not crazy to accept that she is only using glowing lights to make herself look so "glowy"?
Come on guys, where's the "awesome" button on this thing?
I know your comment was in jest, but many people think like that. I get it all the time from clients, thinking that somehow I can "just clean up their stuff in Photoshop...right?"
This thread is a prime example of it.

There is no quick fix, "Easy Button" that will simply add a software filter and "bingo!" you have awesomeness.

Lighting is one of the most overlooked things when people want to make videos. There is no "glow" filter that will give a face that effect.
Not in FCP, iMovie, After Effects, Motion...etc. There is no simple software solution to achieve the results seen in those videos. It is simply better lighting. It isn't necessarily hard to do, but it does take some time to set up properly.

Three Point Lighting

Three Point Lighting Simulator

Three Point Lighting - Video

Lighting For Television

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a novel idea. Why don't you ask the person what they're doing to make their videos look like that? Heap some praises on her for her videos and I'm sure she'll spill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
weeeel, you could export a movie frame by frame and edit every frame with something like photoshop and then put it back together :D :D good luck though

anyway, PS Extended is actually able to edit video and you can do some "rotoscoping" (=frame editing ... ehm, hopefully) and there might be a way to export your movies as a filmstrip and edit more at once ... but I doubt that's how the vid is done, I have to agree with the above posts, ligthing and makeup is just too underestimated

ok I checked the vids out and there is some work going into those vids, not just some regular vblog :) definitely not just with a webcam ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
In television we use what is called Skin Detail. It basically takes a sample of a color you specify and softens/smooths it out. You can control where it falls within a particular shade and where the tolerance for similar shades are. This is done through our cameras but I haven't sen anything in post other than using filters to soften the image. Using masks in After Effects you could get the same result though that would take a good ammount of time.

OP
M
Reaction score
Here's a novel idea. Why don't you ask the person what they're doing to make their videos look like that? Heap some praises on her for her videos and I'm sure she'll spill.

wowwwwwww asking her directly? wow i never thought of that!
"kash" this person has over 200,000 subscribers and gets billions of fan mail everyday she doesnt answer emails or youtube messages

thanks again for your "help" though

OP
M
Reaction score
ok I checked the vids out and there is some work going into those vids, not just some regular vblog :) definitely not just with a webcam ;)

thanks for actually bothering to watch the videos. yes definitely not just a webcam and definitely not just "oh just make sure u hav good lighting"

she actually said herself once that she uses some kind of effect/filter/SOMETHING in a video editing program to make herself look like that i just dont remember what she said in specifics and of course like i pointed out shes far too popular now for anyone to interact with her or get a response out of her

OP
M
Reaction score
just fyi for the 1 or 2 users on here who think that her look is achieved solely thru lighting + make up:

from another forum: "In post, they may have upped the highlights some by using a very slight glow effect on the skin tones along with a slight diffusion filter."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
check out Premiere, it is pretty much the best software out there for video editing, I bet it has a bunch of filters and effects you can add to a movie ... or After effects, but I doubt there will be a button "THE Perfect Glow" ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
check out Premiere, it is pretty much the best software out there for video editing, I bet it has a bunch of filters and effects you can add to a movie ... or After effects, but I doubt there will be a button "THE Perfect Glow" ;)

While I agree with the After Effects portion (most likely your best bet) the Premiere is a bit off. Since this is an opinion I will limit it to just that.

If you have After Effects or can get a hold of a trial, I'm sure you can find some things to tweak in there. I know Magic Bullet (Plug-in program) has quite a few things that can deliver a look like this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Looks good? She looks terrible!. What you take as a cartoonish look is just what you get when you have a light in your face that is to bright while wearing makeup. You also seem to have been misled by her pink eyeshadow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.