Using Macbook As Desktop?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have an older HP Desktop and a few month old Dell XPS M1330.
I'm tired of the virus / spyware / rebooting of windows and have been considering a Mac.
The only thing I do that I still need Windows for is MS Frontpage and my BlackBerry Desktop (Which I hear a good Mac version is coming this year).
I could either put Windows on the Mac, or probably better yet, just keep my Dell for that and traveling.
Would I have any problems hooking up a regular Macbook to my Samsung 225BW (22") monitor and then just getting a keyboard and mouse and using it as a desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Nope, no problems at all.. just like any other laptop out there these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I ditched desktops years and years ago. I did use an external monitor and mouse, but more and more I find myself just using my MacBook Pro. If you already have the monitor and mouse by all means use it! You get the best of both worlds with this setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
yea, I've completely stopped using the monitors too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
my desktop slowly transmogrified into a home media server over the span of a year. it took 11 years of laptop ownership until i came to a point where it became my primary machine.

but because of the power a desktop is able to wield, i'll never replace it with a laptop, an imac or mac mini for the same reason... i want the desktop to provide the power my laptop cant provide in those rare situations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I've always used my laptops in desktop configurations at home. Performance-wise there's not much difference nowadays (the 2.4Ghz MacBook is quite comparable to the 2.4 Ghz iMac...)

I connect my MacBook to my monitor and a USB hub for all my peripherals. I also place it on a stand, to bring it up to a similar height as my monitor (it makes working with 2 screens more comfortable and I don't have to worry about ever spilling cups of tea over it ;))

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do the same thing. Good point about elevating the MacBook. With all the "spills" posts we read about, that's good advice.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Count me in as one of those that uses a MacBook as a desktop machine. I hook mine into a 20" Samzung Monitor and it works wonderfully. Given the size of laptop hard drives these days, I can't imagine the need for a separate desktop machine for normal use. Maybe if you need the horse power at an affordable price it makes sense, but the portability is with the premium cost in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I've been using my Macbook as a desktop for about two years now. Dual monitor even with Samsung Syncmaster 225BW elevated above with the Macbook's internal in a vertical configuration.

Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse on desk tray, USB and firewire external disks, USB hub to hook in my printer, scanner, card reader, camera, iPod, Wacom; external speakers and microphone plugged into their respective ports.

Every morning when I go to work (yay!) I have a whole checklist ritual to "undock" it from all the gear: Eject external drives, unplug speakers (and microphone if hooked up) disconnect USB hub, disconnect USB drive, disconnect Firewire drive, disconnect external monitor (all windows leap down to internal screen), shrink Dock (because internal screen is smaller and I make the Dock big when running the external) turn off bluetooth mouse (because it will wake up the Macbook if I don't turn it off before I put the Mac to sleep), disconnect power cord, close lid. Takes about a minute to go through. Wrap power cord and throw power block and wireless mouse in bag, confirm 'breathing light' to make sure it's asleep, put in bag.

At work I go with just the built-in screen, power, and bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

When I get home it's same ritual in reverse. Used to be with Tiger all the windows would leap back to the external monitor when it was plugged in, but it seems with Leopard Apple made that feature go away. It recognizes everything immediately though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I've been using my Macbook as a desktop for about two years now. Dual monitor even with Samsung Syncmaster 225BW elevated above with the Macbook's internal in a vertical configuration.

Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse on desk tray, USB and firewire external disks, USB hub to hook in my printer, scanner, card reader, camera, iPod, Wacom; external speakers and microphone plugged into their respective ports.

Every morning when I go to work (yay!) I have a whole checklist ritual to "undock" it from all the gear: Eject external drives, unplug speakers (and microphone if hooked up) disconnect USB hub, disconnect USB drive, disconnect Firewire drive, disconnect external monitor (all windows leap down to internal screen), shrink Dock (because internal screen is smaller and I make the Dock big when running the external) turn off bluetooth mouse (because it will wake up the Macbook if I don't turn it off before I put the Mac to sleep), disconnect power cord, close lid. Takes about a minute to go through. Wrap power cord and throw power block and wireless mouse in bag, confirm 'breathing light' to make sure it's asleep, put in bag.

At work I go with just the built-in screen, power, and bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

When I get home it's same ritual in reverse. Used to be with Tiger all the windows would leap back to the external monitor when it was plugged in, but it seems with Leopard Apple made that feature go away. It recognizes everything immediately though.

This makes me laugh because my ritual was almost identical. I got sick of doing it and now I just shut the mouse off and go. I have another power adapter at work so there is no more crawling under the desk. The wireless receiver for the Logitech is so small I don't even remove it. I can shut the mouse off so it does not wake the MBP. I also make sure it is sleeping before I zip up. Don't need a car fire in rush hour!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Retina 15", Late 2013) 2.3 GHz i7 16GB RAM
I also use my Macbook as a desktop. I do dual monitors with Samsung Syncmaster and also elevate the Macbook. I just did the switch to a Mac a couple weeks ago, I turned my desktop PC into a Home Media Center and use Remote Access for the Mac to run any Windows programs I might need. No need for Parallels or Boot Camp. Runs fast as **** on my Giga Network and even wireless using 11n.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
Currently I have a windows desktop with dual monitors and just got a macbook pro. I am thinking of ditching the desktop and using my mbp as my main computer, with an external monitor. I see there are some people doing this and it sounds like it is working out quite nicely for them. Does anyone happen to have pictures of their setup so I can see what it looks like? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I bought my new setup based on using my Macbook as a Desktop and Laptop. Overall I am happy. The only reason I could see my self getting a desktop would be because A. Already have the Macbook and would want something like an iMac or Mac Pro and B. Just need more power. Like I said overall I am very happy to have everything I have.

Here is a pic of what my setup looks like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
This is what I am planning to do. Im getting a MBP and then i'm going to find a nice, shiny 22" or 24" monitor on sale. Probably Accer, Samsung, or something like that :0

Reaction score
i got a blackbook and my old emac keyboard and a logitech scroll wheel mouse. its working pretty good as a desktop... hard part is finding a place to use the usb keyboard while we get a new desk :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.