Saving images for desktop wallpaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Quad Core 2.8GHz, 10GB Ram, nVidia 8800GT Video Card, 500GB HDD, and One 16x Super Drive
I'm new to Macs so I'm sorry about asking this very basic question (on Windows I never had this problem, but I'm finding it difficult to get this right on my new Mac). I want to create a folder for desktop images to re-use over time. I'm using Safari and not Firefox or any other non-Mac browser.

Anyway, every time I try to save a wallpaper image (.jpg format) to use for my wallpaper I never can get it to open correctly to use as my desktop wallpaper. When I right click on the image my Mac/system asks me if I want to use as Desktop Image (so that's working fine and I can use the image for the desktop at that moment), but when I save the image in my Downloads folder, and try to open the .jpg image at a later time, I get the preview view, but when I right click I don't get the option to use the image for my "Desktop Image."

So, what am I doing wrong and how do I get this to work.

Thanks!

Reaction score
ok, keep doing what your doing by putting them all in a folder. id make it a separate folder in your systems picture folder.

only don't open them in preview, right click on your background and go to Change Desktop Background... click the + sign towards the left, find said folder, and go from there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Pictures I'm keeping for use as backgrounds are saved into the backgrounds folder found at MacIntosh HD/Library/Desktop Pictures.

They can also be organized into folders there. They will then show up in System Preferences/Desktop & Screensaver along with all the default backgrounds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 13 (128 GB) iPad Air 3 (256 GB) Refurbed 21.5”iMac 3.6GHz Intel Core i3 w/Retina 4K (1 TB)
Does anyone know how I can combine the pictures saved in the folders in System Preferences Screen Saver, with those I've collected separately. I like some of them and prefer to have my wallpaper randomly cycle every couple of hours. But they all have to be in the same folder and I can't figure out how to get them into the same folder. <sigh>

Reaction score
Old thread-new question(s)

I know this is an old thread but this is as close an answer to my question as I can find. But I have another question......Do they just disappear when you change them if you did not save them? (Actually two!) What order should you do, Save Image As... and then Use Image As..... or vice versa?

Thanks,
Kate

.................but when I save the image in my Downloads folder, and try to open the .jpg image at a later time, I get the preview view, but when I right click I don't get the option to use the image for my "Desktop Image."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Read the above post by greyspot design.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.