Mixer > USB Interface > Mac/PC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So let's say I wanted to record a multi-track session. You know, the usual guitar (maybe 2), bass, drums (most likely loops for now), and vocals.

Can I (well I know I can), but how well would this setup work? I don't want to make super-high quality clips or anything, just record some of the music I've been working on to "get it out there," without it sounding terrible.

I was planning on picking up an uber-cheap Line6 Toneport (about $80), and a 6-8 channel un-powered mixer.

So it'd be the TonePort into this mixer, then into my PC Laptop running Mixcraft 4.1 (or whatever software comes with the L6 interface).

md_802_b.jpg

into

368973.jpg

Then into my PC/Mac (the TonePort is Mac compatible too)

This is just a simple home-recording idea I have, keep in mind I'm not aiming for pro quality here.

Essentially, each channel on the mixer would have an instrument/mic plugged into it and then the TonePort would make it able to record to a computer easily.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I'm on a tight budget, hence the cheaper gear. I've recorded stuff before, but back in the day when I was using a 4-track, 2 really bad mic's, a Pioneer stereo amp from the 70's, and a tape deck.

I'm not completely naive when it comes to PC recording (I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, but Mixcraft is like GarageBand for Windows). Anyways, I can hold my own, just trying to figure out the initial path from instrument > computer.

Thanks! O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Spend the extra $$ and get the Toneport with two XLR/Line ins, it will make what you want to do a lot easier!!

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I guess I should have state this in my original post. I want to mic my amp. I have a really nice tube amp, and I love the sound, so I want to record THAT, not some digitally modeled garbage.

I was looking into the one with the XLR ports, but I think it's about $200. The only thing that would be going direct into the mixer would be the mic's for the guitar/bass amps, and then one for vocals. (using SM57's for instruments, and an SM58 for vox).

This is the one I'm assuming you're talking about.

567856.jpg

Maybe I might just spring for it, after all, I do have an account at the place I go to get my gear. I see how this can make it a lot easier (having XLR and 1/4" ins already on the device).

I might get a mixer still for running a non-computer recording setup and just use tape like I used to.

Thanks for the input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.