new Macs = splitting headache

Reaction score
just tried out a new MacBook 13". needed to return it after about 3 days due to splitting headache and aching neck and shoulders. thought the solution was an iMac, however, i am still plagued with the same symptoms. this after about 5 days of using the brand new 20" iMac. :Shouting:

i have a terrible feeling that there is something very different about the resolutions, response time, refresh rates, etc... compared with the run of the mill LCD screens. it really seems that i am just not cut out for these flashy LED screens:[ i never have these awful pains with either a 15" toshiba laptop or 17" Sharp lcd.

does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this situation. i am sitting here at a pc laptop, trying to recover from the terrible eyestrain and neck/shoulder cramps. :Grimmace: ouch. help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
the panels are really not all that unusual, actually they're probably the same used in other manufacturers. The aching neck and shoulders points more towards ergonomics than the panel refresh rates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
just tried out a new MacBook 13". needed to return it after about 3 days due to splitting headache and aching neck and shoulders. thought the solution was an iMac, however, i am still plagued with the same symptoms. this after about 5 days of using the brand new 20" iMac. :Shouting:

i have a terrible feeling that there is something very different about the resolutions, response time, refresh rates, etc... compared with the run of the mill LCD screens. it really seems that i am just not cut out for these flashy LED screens:[ i never have these awful pains with either a 15" toshiba laptop or 17" Sharp lcd.

does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this situation. i am sitting here at a pc laptop, trying to recover from the terrible eyestrain and neck/shoulder cramps. :Grimmace: ouch. help!
So get a Mac mini and external display that is height adjustable. Follow these steps and you should be fine:
CUergo: Computer Workstation Ergonomics Guidelines

Reaction score
I got headaches when I first started using my 24" iMac. Then dummy me figured out that the brightness was 100%. Knocked it down to about 45 and haven't had a headache since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I was going to suggest brightness too. The tension from that may likely be causing the other pains.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I, too, lowered the brightness somewhat on my new iMac, but I would think the problem probably occurs because of incorrect posture and placement of the machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You also have to consider that getting a new computer can be like getting new glasses. It takes time for your eyes to adjust, and also to find a good, comfortable position to use it in. Sometimes just a few days is not enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
or you may want to get tested for meningitis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
hahaha...I'm sorry, my lecture class now thinks I'm a complete idiot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I have to agree with the brightness, I have MBP and I can't stand the brightness at full, just too much :D well, not when I'm outside, then I'm glad it's bright :)

OP
M
Reaction score
while there have been lots of suggestions re: brightness, adjusting that hasn't resolved the problem.

as well, while i do understand that a new computer and monitor can take a while to get used to, i can't really handle having my splitting headache and shoulder pains for days. i use my computer several hours a day for reading, writing, etc... and that just wouldn't be feasible.

also, the posture issue is something to consider, but i am very comfortable when sitting in front of my usual 17" LCD. these pains never existed before!

any other ideas or input would be helpful! thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
while there have been lots of suggestions re: brightness, adjusting that hasn't resolved the problem.

as well, while i do understand that a new computer and monitor can take a while to get used to, i can't really handle having my splitting headache and shoulder pains for days. i use my computer several hours a day for reading, writing, etc... and that just wouldn't be feasible.

also, the posture issue is something to consider, but i am very comfortable when sitting in front of my usual 17" LCD. these pains never existed before!

any other ideas or input would be helpful! thanks.
Well, figure out what's changed. Is the screen now higher / lower / brighter / darker? Is the external keyboard different? Try booting into Windows, perhaps the font smoothing is annoying you...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.