Internet connectivity problem

Reaction score
Hullo there! My first post where I seek some guidance on internet connectivity problem on my macbook.

I have been for more than a decade now an exclusively Windows user but gifted myself a Macbook, after hearing from a colleague that it is a real cool PC, where the use is sheer joy. I have been slowly sinking my feet into the new system but I am stuck at a problem.

I am from India. I have a broadband connection. However, I am finding it tough to connect my Macbook to the internet. The problem is that while the internet company is quite helpful, they do not know anything about the MAC system - a couple of the guys have not even heard about it! (sorry, this is India - we know all about Iphones and Ipods but most do not know that there is a Macintosh Computer!)

I have been trying to understand the technical terms involved (DHCP, DNS, etc.) and trying to use my "common sense" to get over the problem myself but I have failed till now.

I have been wondering whether there is some place where I can read and understand these technical terms in the context of the Macintosh operating system so that I learn them and forget about the technical support from the internet company. In particular, I want to know whether there is some way whereby I simply use the information about the net connection already on my windows desktop where my internet connection smoothly works and get my Macbook connected by inputting such information.

Incidentally, in my desktop,the internet connection obtains Ip address and DNS server address automatically.

Any guidance will be highly appreciated and particularly any source where I can get clarity about these technical concepts will be even more helpful.

Thanks, guys!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks, Shfle! I will try it out and revert, hopefully, with a report of success!

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got connected! And am writing this using that connection - :).

The solution was far more simple and my concern that i will need to acquire a lot of technical knowledge was without basis. I was required to go "Advanced" options in the network connections and to click on renewing my dhcp. That was it! - thanks also to this forum and a helpful internet support guy who knew about the mac operating system. So MACs are not as a rarity in India as I thought - if internet companies have provided for procedures to support them too!

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.