Just got my MB... need a little help.

Reaction score
This will take some getting used to!

First thing, how in the heck do you switch between open windows?? On Windows there is the task bar on the bottom of the screen.... on this MB the only way I see to switch is if you first minimize the window.

Second, is there any magic place to click and have the window go auto full zoom, meaning auto expand to the full size of the screen??

Pretty excited..... just need some basics so i can start tinkering efficiently!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
there is a feature called "Expose" that lets you view all open windows at once. hold down the "function" key and then hit "9". "10" also does it too. there are settings in your system preferences to set up "hot corners" that do this as well.

as for expanding windows to full screen, there are three little buttons in the upper left hand corner of finder windows (red, yellow and green). Red closes the window (X), yellow minimizes (-) and the green maximises (+). hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
if you have the new MacBook with the multitouch trackpad, you can swipe down with 4 fingers to get the expose view

personally I switch through windows/applications by cmd+tab

also I think there is a shortcut to cycle through windows of the same application, maybe cmd+; ... not sure, I set my own in preferences/keyboard and mouse/keyboard shortcuts

the green button doesn't max the window the same way as on windows, it changes the size to the maximum width ... w.g with web pages, it changes to let you see the whole content, not actually max out the whole screen .... to have a window cover up your whole screen click and drag the bottom-right corner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
there is a feature called "Expose" that lets you view all open windows at once. hold down the "function" key and then hit "9". "10" also does it too. there are settings in your system preferences to set up "hot corners" that do this as well.

I just wanted to mention that on the newer MacBooks, you can activate Exposé by simply hitting F3 (and you don't have to hold the fn key to do so).

OP
P
Reaction score
LOL... Thanks guys!

I laugh because this thing is so simple it is hard... does that make sense? The more I mess with it the more I see just how simple it is.

For example:

With Windows Vista, even after years of use I STILL get lost in the control panel ( I don't tinker as much as I used to either, that could be it??). Going to settings on the Mac and I feel like there is something missing.

I don't get spaces yet.. what I like is the 4 finger horizontal swipe. I don't think I understand it yet fully either. LOL..

The F3 button does bring up something, the same as a 4 finger vertical swipe, but I have no clue yet. It will all come together.

I'm going to go read that post mentioned above and then put FW on the mac and load a copy of Vista. I was going to load XP, but I have a ready to go copy of Vista so I'll just use that.

Are those classes at Apple store worth attending? Are they a basic lesson on how to turn the computer off and on or do they get into some more advanced stuff?

Also, there was a program I saw and I can't find it anymore. It was about "if you do this on a p.c., you do this to accomplish the same thing on your mac"

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Reaction score
OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks.... People keep giving me links. It's much easier for me to do a search when I come across a problem. I learn better this way.

Please keep the links coming though, as I do read them.

One thing I realized, is that anything open is on the dock and you can just click on that. Am I missing something here or is the dock the same as a Windows task bar??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
With Windows Vista, even after years of use I STILL get lost in the control panel ( I don't tinker as much as I used to either, that could be it??). Going to settings on the Mac and I feel like there is something missing.

I don't get spaces yet.. what I like is the 4 finger horizontal swipe. I don't think I understand it yet fully either. LOL..

The F3 button does bring up something, the same as a 4 finger vertical swipe, but I have no clue yet. It will all come together.

Are those classes at Apple store worth attending? Are they a basic lesson on how to turn the computer off and on or do they get into some more advanced stuff?

for the system settings, it's very light compared to the windows control panel; you're not allowed as much ability to mess stuff up on the Mac OS. if you want detailed information, the system profiler is where all system specs are laid out much like device manager, sans control. for disk management, disk utility is much like disk manager in the windows administrative tools. the utilities folder in your applications folder is where you'll find more powerful tools for control over the hardware and software.

since you have a multitouch trackpad, here we go... 4 finger swipe downward will activate 'expose', which is the same as hitting F3. 4 fingers up will clear your desktop, just like the "show desktop" command in windows.

4 fingers to the left or right will bring up the task switcher, which is the same as using command+tab, which is the same as the alt+tab shortcut in windows.

as for the classes, they are VERY basic. some stores offer a "switchers" class that you may be interested in taking, though. to be honest, i was quite dissatisfied with the workshops as they were below my level of knowledge, but to each their own... my background may be different than yours.

Thanks.... People keep giving me links. It's much easier for me to do a search when I come across a problem. I learn better this way.

Please keep the links coming though, as I do read them.

One thing I realized, is that anything open is on the dock and you can just click on that. Am I missing something here or is the dock the same as a Windows task bar??

the dock is less like the taskbar and more like the start menu. open tasks will be highlighted in the dock if a shortcut for that app is in the dock. minimized apps will also show up on the right side of the separator in the dock. as for the file menu that you see at the top of every window in windows, you have just one, connected to the tray on the Mac OS, and it's dynamic; it changes for whatever application is on top.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPro15 2.4/4/500 (Mid 09), MBAir13 2.13/4/256 (Late 10)
yeah,also I think there is a shortcut to cycle through windows of the same application, maybe cmd+; ... not sure, I set my own steroids in preferences/keyboard and mouse/keyboard shortcuts on ..

great
thnx

cmd+arrow keys to move within an app, cmd+tab to switch between apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Use Command-Tab to switch between apps.

Use Command-~ (tilde) to switch between windows within the same app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.