New 1st time Mac user!!

Reaction score
WOW!!! I can't believe I made the move. I have been an avid PC user since the 486. I built my first PC out of a Pentium 133!!! I've always hated Apple / Macs, always. They always seemed so different to me.

Long story short.... WINDOWS VISTA, I PHONE 3 G AND A COUPLE TRIPS TO THE MAC STORE DUE TO A FAULTY IPHONE 3 G OR 2 AND BAM.... I BOUGHT A MAC!

I am really excited to learn something new. Enough ramble...

I am getting my external WD passport drive ready for time machine.

What file format should I format it??? FAT 32? NFTS?

I'll most likely be using a "VISTA" on Fusion Ware, if not XP. I have to have ( unfortunately) a windows copy running on the mac for some software I use, it will also help in the transition, IE I can use Vista / XP if I need to get some work done and can't whip it out on the mac due to learning curve.

Thanks Guys...

By the way, I got mac book 2.4, 4 gigs ram (yes, I got the ram from Apple, I thought I read a lot before I ordered. Then I ordered and read that I could get ram for cheaper else where!). I got a nice new 22" monitor to go with it, and a blue tooth keyboard. I am waiting for a good deal on Apple protection.... that's another thread! I still don't get why you need a three year warranty plan? I mean, I have 2 laptops that I passed onto family members, 5 years + old and they work fine!!!!

That's another thing.... I hear people whining about how Macs are soooo expensive. Well, if you want a good biz class laptop you're going to pay just about the same. The only thing is they have options that are cheaper on the PC side. Just because Apple doesn't make a cheaper notebook or desktop doesn't meant they are expensive. Maybe I'm missing something????

I'll shut up now... Just need to know how to format my external Western Digital 120 GB passport hard drive. It will be used for Time machine only.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
WOW!!! I can't believe I made the move. I have been an avid PC user since the 486. I built my first PC out of a Pentium 133!!! I've always hated Apple / Macs, always. They always seemed so different to me.

Long story short.... WINDOWS VISTA, I PHONE 3 G AND A COUPLE TRIPS TO THE MAC STORE DUE TO A FAULTY IPHONE 3 G OR 2 AND BAM.... I BOUGHT A MAC!

I am really excited to learn something new. Enough ramble...

I am getting my external WD passport drive ready for time machine.

What file format should I format it??? FAT 32? NFTS?

First off, congrats and welcome to Mac-Forums.

FAT32 is going to be most compatible, but it does have a limitation of not being able to store single files of 4GB in size or larger. Out of the box, OS X can read NTFS, but not write to it. So, if you can live with the limitations, FAT32 would be the better bet - just make sure you format it from your Mac, as Microsoft imposes an artificial 32GB limit on FAT32 partitions.

If you need to go NTFS, check out Paragon's NTFS for Mac or MacFUSE (not so easy to get working).

I'll most likely be using a "VISTA" on Fusion Ware, if not XP. I have to have ( unfortunately) a windows copy running on the mac for some software I use, it will also help in the transition, IE I can use Vista / XP if I need to get some work done and can't whip it out on the mac due to learning curve.

I'd stick with XP in a VM. Vista's Aero interface doesn't work in VMs, so there's really no point in wasting the extra resources it needs to run.

Thanks Guys...

By the way, I got mac book 2.4, 4 gigs ram (yes, I got the ram from Apple, I thought I read a lot before I ordered. Then I ordered and read that I could get ram for cheaper else where!). I got a nice new 22" monitor to go with it, and a blue tooth keyboard. I am waiting for a good deal on Apple protection.... that's another thread! I still don't get why you need a three year warranty plan? I mean, I have 2 laptops that I passed onto family members, 5 years + old and they work fine!!!!

That's another thing.... I hear people whining about how Macs are soooo expensive. Well, if you want a good biz class laptop you're going to pay just about the same. The only thing is they have options that are cheaper on the PC side. Just because Apple doesn't make a cheaper notebook or desktop doesn't meant they are expensive. Maybe I'm missing something????

People that believe in that false premise are not comparing apples to apples (no pun intended).

I'll shut up now... Just need to know how to format my external Western Digital 120 GB passport hard drive. It will be used for Time machine only.

Aha! You should have said that sooner. If it's a Time Machine drive, it needs to be formatted in OS X native filesystem, HFS+ (Journaled).

OP
P
Reaction score
Hey.. thanks for pointing that out about the aero not working in the VM environment! That was literally the only reason I was going to go with Vista, and the ONLY reason I have stuck with Vista since it came out. I got so used to the Aero features I couldn't give them up! Thanks again!!

So all my music, pics, docs, downloads etc.. that are on my external drive right now in NFTS format, from my Windows setup..... how is the best way to transfer that stuff over? Can I just hook up the external drive from USB and copy or move all files to one folder on the Mac?

Then, format the drive using the Mac time machine file system and ...... well when I make it to that point I'll have to do some more research. But that will get me started. Will that work??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey.. thanks for pointing that out about the aero not working in the VM environment! That was literally the only reason I was going to go with Vista, and the ONLY reason I have stuck with Vista since it came out. I got so used to the Aero features I couldn't give them up! Thanks again!!

You'll love Expose on the Mac. Imagine Flip3D, only fast and useful ;)

So all my music, pics, docs, downloads etc.. that are on my external drive right now in NFTS format, from my Windows setup..... how is the best way to transfer that stuff over? Can I just hook up the external drive from USB and copy or move all files to one folder on the Mac?

Yup, shouldn't be a problem. As I mentioned before, OS X can read NTFS no problem.

Then, format the drive using the Mac time machine file system and ...... well when I make it to that point I'll have to do some more research. But that will get me started. Will that work??

When you're all done transferring your data, just go into Disk Utility and Erase the drive, selecting "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)", and then turn on Time Machine and you're good to go.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks again!!!

I'm excited!! I've been such a Mac basher for years..... LOL... Look at me now!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again!!!

I'm excited!! I've been such a Mac basher for years..... LOL... Look at me now!!

Me too, but it was well deserved at one time. I'm actually an MCSE and Windows network admin by trade, believe it or not ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.