• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows No – The Next Big Thing From Microsoft?

B

blue

Found something curious while I was looking round on the net today for reviews on the mac mini. The reviewer totally bombed the poor mini but more interesting to me was a link down the bottom to another article.

http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/windows_no.htm

Yes the article is 2 years old and people probably already know of it but for me it's new and some of the stuff he's describing about these things going on in the new version of windows sounds crazy.

Anywho, just thought I'd post it up and get your opinions, but for me if this is true then it's all the more reason to get me a mac ^_^

OP
D

dziner

Windows XP Media Center Personal Edition Professional Plus—under the greatly simplified and easier to market moniker “Windows No”. Microsoft claims the change was strictly for marketing purposes and was not in response to media criticism that the original name was too stodgy and cumbersome for a consumer product.

So they're saying "Windows XP Media Center Personal Edition Professional Plus" isn't stodgy and cumbersome? Figures, that goes to show the thought that goes into Windows. ****, I can't even stand saying "Windows XP Media Center Edition".

What the heck does XP stand for anyways? It doesn't sound like they can move to XQ or anything like that as a new release. They went from Windows 95, to 98, to 2000, to XP. Naming a product by a date really, well, dates it. But then they named it XP, and next will be Longhorn, unless they rename it upon release. I find Microsoft so freaking confusing.

OP
J

Jason

dziner said:
So they're saying "Windows XP Media Center Personal Edition Professional Plus" isn't stodgy and cumbersome? Figures, that goes to show the thought that goes into Windows. ****, I can't even stand saying "Windows XP Media Center Edition".

What the heck does XP stand for anyways? It doesn't sound like they can move to XQ or anything like that as a new release. They went from Windows 95, to 98, to 2000, to XP. Naming a product by a date really, well, dates it. But then they named it XP, and next will be Longhorn, unless they rename it upon release. I find Microsoft so freaking confusing.
XP = eXPerience

I love Windows! If it wasn't so crappy I wouldn't have a job :D

OP
J

jbsengineer

isn't divisiontwo.com the site with all of those bogus articles? like that mac mini article that was hilarious satire??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Yeah. And the one about the 'G5 powerbook' that was 'not noticably bigger, only 6" as opposed to 1/2". The whole site is satire on computer stuff in general. It seems highly offensive to Mac users at first, which is what I got out of it, but if you actually read the Windows articles, they're equally if not more sarcastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I think the xp may stand for eXtremely Poor, as in quality, stability, ui, microsoft in general.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.