Save display preferences

2ge

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Mac Book, OSX 10.5, I recently switched from windows, so far I like OSX. I am stuck into one problem (actually, there are more problems, but I have to sort it out by one by one:). I want use my MAC for daily work, and also in the night time for watching movies and so on (using boxee:), my setup looks like: External Monitor - Mac Book - LCD TV. I bought 2 cables, so when I want switch from monitor, to LCD, I have to change cables (AFAIK it is not possible in other way, right? Because it disturbs me...).

Now the question - I can set up display preferences (arrangment, resolution...), but I dont know how to save this, because when I change the cables, I have to set it again and again...

thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't save the preferences because each time you change cables, your MacBook re-detects the display. And that means going through the setup routine again. I would recommend you not do that anyway since the constant swapping of cables will eventually wear out connectors either on your MacBook or the LCD and maybe both.

Regards.

OP

2ge

Reaction score
ok, so in other words, it is not possible watch movies on my LCD, because of this. I think, there must be some way, how to achieve SAVE preferences, I am not so bad in bash/tcsh, I just need some guide how to do that, after switching cables I will run just script, which restore those preferences.

I know, swapping cables is not so "healthy", but I dont have any other option right now.

Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, go to System Preferences/Displays then check the box 'Show displays in menu bar'.

Now when you want to quickly switch the resolution just click on the displays icon along the menu bar at the top and choose from the drop down menu. It should remember the last few settings for each display used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.