Hard Drive Upgrade Advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD G4 10.4.11
I want to add a large internal hard drive into my MDD G4 dual 1.25
running OS 10.4.11.

Should I keep the original 80gig hard drive in the machine and use it at the boot drive?.....or use the newer larger hard drive as the boot drive and keep the old drive in the machine for more storage?

If I do either of these how to I set up the drives? If I keep the old one as the boot drive does the new one become the slave? I would I configure the settings on the drive?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
General rule of thumb is to make the faster drive the boot drive, however, that would mean reinstalling the entire OS to the new drive. Depends on how much effort you wish to expend. :)

The boot drive should be "master" and the second drive setup as "slave". Follow the manufacturer's directions with regard to jumper settings. Every hard drive I've ever purchased came with installation instructions which included a visual guide to jumper placement.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Install new drive as slave and copy HDD to it using SuperDuper. Remove original drive and install new drive which becomes boot drive and set to master. Perhaps then install the 80GB in an external case and use for backups etc.

SuperDuper's Smart Backup is many, many times quicker if you pay the registration fee, but is is free to download and use if you wish.

The drive manufacturer's web site will have the jump settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.