Networking with Windows PC

Reaction score
I have purchased an iMac and a powerbook. I also have windows computers on my home network. The windows computers all see each other and the macs. The macs see each other, but unless I specifically look up the IP address of the windows pc (which the router may change from time to time) I can't automatically "see" the windows computers. I see talk about changing the workgroup of the mac to match MSHOME of the windows PCs but in Leopard can't see how to do that. I would like to be able to click on Network and automatically see the windows PC's with their name. I also have an HP Media Vault network storage device that one time mounted automatically with the name Media Vault, but I can only access it via the IP address now.

Reaction score
Can someone please shed some lights on an easy method to connect to a Mac (10.5.6) from a windows PC and vice versa?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
OK go to system pref, then to network, then click on the button named advanced then the tab labeled WINS and enter your info.

Reaction score
I think there is ot much to configure. You should just enable the file sharing on your macs and make sure that the SAMBA protocol is activated. IIRC, go to Preferences/Sharing/File Sharing and there you can configure which folders you share on your mac. If you click options or something like that, you can specify if the file sharing is done via AFP (= Apple sharing protocol) or Samba (Windows sharing protocol), so activate the Samba so that your Windows can see it.

I've googeled this : File Sharing OS X 10.5 to Windows XP - Set Up File Sharing
cheers,
Tex

OP
S
Reaction score
I think there is ot much to configure. You should just enable the file sharing on your macs and make sure that the SAMBA protocol is activated. IIRC, go to Preferences/Sharing/File Sharing and there you can configure which folders you share on your mac. If you click options or something like that, you can specify if the file sharing is done via AFP (= Apple sharing protocol) or Samba (Windows sharing protocol), so activate the Samba so that your Windows can see it.

I've googeled this : File Sharing OS X 10.5 to Windows XP - Set Up File Sharing
cheers,
Tex

My problem is the other side. I can the mac fine from windows, but can't see windows from the mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.