Macbook electric shock!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I'm getting shocks off my macbook on the bottom near the DVD drive. Just where my wrist rests near the mousepad.
It only happens occasionally and doesn't hurt, it's just uncomfortable.

Is this a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this and will mac replace the machine or repair it? If so, has repair fixed the issue?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Are you sure it isn't static? Think about your floor, shoes or socks. Just a thought because it seems unusual.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That can happen with any notebook. You just happen to be close enough to a grounded, metal component on the chassis. It's winter in most of the world, so humidity is low and we dry the air out even further by running heaters in our homes. So, you'll have a tendency to carry more static electricity on your body. When you hit a ground, you'll discharge - and that's exactly what it sounds like is happening there.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Sounds fair. I hadn't experienced many problems until a few weeks ago. and I do live in the UK, which is freezing at the moment.

Reaction score
I got shocked when I put my finger on my touchpad the other day too. It was just static because that's never happened to me before.

Reaction score
It happened to me before on the white Macbook. I felt the shock when I placed my hands on either side of the laptop, and I figured it was caused by the little metal screws on either side of it. I touched it to make sure, and I got shocked again. I'm not sure if it was static, but it was rather annoying when it happened certainly.

Reaction score
i was also bothered by this.

it is a grounding issue. wont be solved by a 3 pin plug either.

insulate yourself from the ground by wearing slippers. worked for me!

Reaction score
please help!

that also happens to me 24/7 !!!!this annoying electric shock only stops when i put out the electricity cable (charger).
In addition, whenever my hands are little wet (towel wet), and I touch it, it s very strong!
what can i do?

C

chas_m

In the words of Groucho Marx, "stop doing that."

But seriously, it's very very likely to be static. See if you can replicate the problem on a floor free of carpeting and with you conscientiously avoiding shuffling your feet.

If it still happens without the aid of carpeting or extremely dry air, THEN I'd get a tech to look at it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.