iTunes and iPhoto sharing

Reaction score
I'm relatively new (3 months) to macintosh, but have spent most of that time figuring out what my G5 is capable of. One thing I haven't been able to fugure out is how to share one iTunes/iPhoto library accross multiple accounts on the same machine. I can obviously copy the tracks/photos and paste into each account, but that chews up hard drive space and is way to much of a hassle to keep updated. I want to be able to have one library that all other accounts can access and update. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
For iTunes put your iTunes Music Folder into a shared directory. You can set the iTunes in each account to have that folder as the iTunes folder.

Do the same for the iPhoto library

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. I have both programs being shared across multiple user accounts. For anyone else interested, I found out there is an additional requirement to make this work: the user account that is sharing the program (iTunes/iPhoto) must actually have that proram running in order for the share to show up in the other accounts. I suppose that makes sense, but it almost defeats the purpose. Anyway, thanks gain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.