Which do I install first?

Reaction score
My iMac is coming Friday. I use a number of CD/DVD burning programs like Nero and the Slysoft suite. I want to install Bootcamp and Parallels. Which should I install first? Does it matter? Are there any pros or cons?

Reaction score
If you do the Bootcamp thing first, then you can have Parallels use the Bootcamp install of Windows. No need to have all the Windows files taking up two different hard drive spaces.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Ron, I'll let you know it goes. Would you advise iTunes to run in Windows or Mac? I have 250 G's of music on an external HD but its in NTFS not FAT. I would assume it can only run on one partition, I'm leaning towards running it on the MAC side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Mac, not MAC.

Definitely run iTunes on the Mac side. Your Mac can read the NTFS drive, but you might want to back up all the music and reformat the drive as HFS+ so your iMac can write to it as well.

There are great Mac alternatives to Nero, including Toast. If I were you I would look for Mac alternatives to the applications you use in Windows, rather than dual booting or running a VM just to use these programs. You may find that the Mac versions are better in many ways then the Windows version, and run natively without all the overhead of a VM, or the time spent booting to a separate partition.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, it was helpful. My thoughts were...why buy Toast when Nero has worked 100% for 4 years. I can just boot in Windows and burn there, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
As I have found out quickly, Toast PWNS Nero, I had Nero on my WinXP partition and never used it after I got Toast 8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Can I just ask... Why would you want to run Bootcamp AND Parallels as you only need one or the other to run Windows?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since you're using the Slysoft apps, there is nothing on the Mac side that can compare to them. With the best the Mac side has to offer, can almost guarantee you will not switch to OS X to do the same things you do with Slysoft.

With Slysoft in mind, if you plan on using it on your Mac, must recommed Bootcamp. Don't think you'll get any help from them trying to run their software in a VM.

If you've got a copy of Nero you can use while you're already booted into Windows, and it does everything you need, don't see the point of purchasing Toast. Most burning you'll want to do on the Mac side can be done with Burn (and it's free).

OP
P
Reaction score
"Can I just ask... Why would you want to run Bootcamp AND Parallels as you only need one or the other to run Windows?"

Because I'm a noob, a bit nervous about switching and I'm not quite sure how it will all shake out. I figured all the rebooting would cause undue stress on the machine and that Parallels would allow me to burn while I stay in Mac. I guess I'll just have to figure out for myself what works best for me. Thanks to everyone for answering my noob questions.

Reaction score
Parallels would allow me to burn while I stay in Mac. I guess I'll just have to figure out for myself what works best for me.
Hi,
There are a lot of free softs to burn your CD/DVD for OSX so why don't you use them ? I use this one : Burn or this one : Project SimplyBurns :: Home

If I were you, I would bother with parallels or vmware in the beginning unless you really need Windows. Just discover and get used to OSX before getting to a bit more advanced topics ;)

Tex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I figured all the rebooting would cause undue stress on the machine

No, it won't hurt anything to reboot. There is no more stress on the machine while rebooting then there is any other time. The only time there is some amount of stress is during a cold startup, when components need to warm up and could potentially suffer wear from temperature differences. That is why it is usually better to leave your computer on all the time.

OP
P
Reaction score
All of you have been a great help. I'm glad I found this forum, thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.