Snow Leopard and its implications

Reaction score
What would upgrading to snow leopard mean for one's current mac?

For instance, My mac is a 2.4 GHz. 4GB of memory, Chipset Model, ATI Radeon HD 2400 and 128 MB

OP
M
Reaction score
According to Apple, SL OSX will make things "more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos." See here
Apple also asserts the following,

"To accommodate the enormous amounts of memory being added to advanced hardware, Snow Leopard extends the 64-bit technology in Mac OS X to support breakthrough amounts of RAM — up to a theoretical 16TB, or 500 times more than what is possible today. More RAM makes applications run faster, because more of their data can be kept in the very fast physical RAM instead of on the much slower hard disk."

So what Apple is saying is that my current Mac will run faster because it will have more space?

OP
M
Reaction score
Is the snow leopard beneficial only to those who rely on it for editing and multitask work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard is a 64 bit OS with a 64 bit kernel. More efficient? Yes.

But until the final specifications are released, it's pure speculation to make assumptions about how much memory will your current machine support if you upgrade to SL or if there will be any speed improvements.

Think of it this way: Old hardware + New OS = ?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Yeah, I'd wait until Apple has released any minimum "system requirements" or anything similar. At this point, it's too early to tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.