Does the apple USB keyboard support 2.0 devices?

J

JohnWasHere

I just bought a Mac Mini and apple keyboard and I have been using my mac mini for awhile now. I just bought a ipod shuffle and I plug my ipod into the keyboard. Does the keyboard hub support 2.0 devices? I was just wondering if it was going at the 2.0 speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
AFAIK the keyboard hub is USB 1.1

OP
G

gdestiny

i can't even plug my ipod mini into the apple keyboard. i guess it doesn't support some self-powered USB devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Why not just plug it into the Firewire port on the iPod mini?

OP
J

JohnWasHere

hmm, OK. It says in the manual it wont work with 1.1 usb hubs i thought, but Im not tottaly sure. It works on the usb keyboard, but Il plug it directly in to the mac mini, its just easier pluggin it into the keyboard. I wish the Ipod shuffle plugged into a firewire port, but its not a huge deal. I love my mac mini and ipod shuffle! There two great, low priced products :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
gdestiny said:
i can't even plug my ipod mini into the apple keyboard. i guess it doesn't support some self-powered USB devices.

Anything that requires power over USB won't work with the Apple Keyboard. The ports don't supply enough power to, er, power the devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
johnnyluu said:
Anything that requires power over USB won't work with the Apple Keyboard. The ports don't supply enough power to, er, power the devices.

Can you say power one more time for me? ;)

-Chris

OP
G

gdestiny

johnnyluu said:

yeah, that sucks though. if i was a new mac user, the first place i'd plug my ipod in is the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.