System Recovery Disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17 MB766LL/A
It's possible that other people have asked this question in the past, but here goes...

I've used Mac and PC on and off for years. After 2 HDD failures on a Gateway notebook in 24 months, and an unstable XP load on a high-end home-built desktop, I am giving up.

Soooo....today I bought one of the last 17 inch "old" Macbook Pros floating around Dallas. The catch? It's the display model from the local Best Buy. That means a few scratches and no system disks. That said, I paid a little under $2k for a computer that would cost $2844 on MacMall...and it's 2.5 months old!

The guy at the Best Buy Apple "Center" apologized for not finding the discs and said it's no big deal to download a backup copy from Apple. Umm....the labryntine Apple Support site doesn't seem to back this up. Whatever...I got him to drop the price b/c it didn't come with the discs.

Can anyone tell me how to obtain a copy of the system restore discs? Maybe the answer is out there somewhere....but I can't find it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since Best Buy didn't supply you with the original recovery disks, you'll have to purchase them from Apple. They can't be downloaded (but you know that) legally from a site or from Apple. Visit a local Apple store (there's one in Southlake - don't know how far that is for you) or give Apple customer service a call.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB, 3 750GB HDs, 250GB HD, two 22" monitors, 1 iMac, 1 13" Macbook Pro, AppleTv, 2 iPhones
There is also an Apple store on Knox at 75 and in Plano in Willow Bend mall.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There's also an Apple store a couple or miles north of the Knox store in the mall at Park Lane/NW Hwy & 75.

Don't know that I'd make the trip to the Apple store without calling first. Not sure if you can get recovery disks there or they still need to come from Apple. Do know you can order a replacement set from Apple. Last I heard it was around $30-40.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.