New PB, Now what?

M

mojo17

Ok, I am a windower. I ordered a new PB and in preparing for its arrival I am trying put together a few to dos. Therefore, is there a few must have apps from the get go? Also, is there a few routine task that need to be performed on the Mac?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
get an app like cocktail to run cron scripts, empty caches and repair permissions if you dont know how to. on a pbook, Id recommend an app called sidetrack.

OP
J

Jason

No sidetrack for the new PBs apparently.

From ragingmenace.com/index.html
February 3, 2005 11:00PM
At this point I've gotten a look at the IORegistry on the new PowerBooks. Apple has completely replaced the previous ADB keyboard and trackpad with an all new internal USB bus and devices. Its all new hardware and drivers and the technology will likely not be available for older PowerBook models.

What does this mean for SideTrack? Clearly SideTrack still has a use for users with older PowerBooks and iBooks. However, SideTrack 1.1 will not work on the new machines. Over the next few weeks I'll be investigating whether SideTrack can be ported to the new hardware.

In the meantime SideTrack 1.1.1 will finish beta testing and be released. Watch the site news for an announcement

OP
M

meltbanana314

Get Wiretap from pure-mac.com before it's completely gone from the 'net. It allows you to record any audio playing on your system, but the folks at Ambrosia decided to change it to Wiretap Pro and start charging for it. You might need it someday.

Get TinkerTool to modify some aspects of OS X that you might not like.

Reaction score
Mojo,
the debate about this one rages on in some circles. Some say its Mac. You dont need to do anything like that. I of course believe otherwise.

There are tools like Symantec System works with Disk Doctor and Speed disk. Micromat Tech tools also does some kind of disk management. Personally I use the disk doctor and it does fix things, as well as the speed disk. My systems all run faster after having run those programs. Of course there's also the Coctail program that is crucial to have and run. Other than that the Mac is pretty maintainence free.

6 out.

OP
J

Jason

jasonbishop73 said:
Mojo,
the debate about this one rages on in some circles. Some say its Mac. You dont need to do anything like that. I of course believe otherwise.

There are tools like Symantec System works with Disk Doctor and Speed disk. Micromat Tech tools also does some kind of disk management. Personally I use the disk doctor and it does fix things, as well as the speed disk. My systems all run faster after having run those programs. Of course there's also the Coctail program that is crucial to have and run. Other than that the Mac is pretty maintainence free.

6 out.
I have Systemworks on my PC and absolutely love it. Great program :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
+1 for Cocktail. For Mac n00bs such as you and I it is a must for helping us keep our computer in tip top shape. I'd also reccomend VLP or mxplayer for playing .avi's as standard Quicktime will not. Lastly, I would get a program called QuickSilver. It is a program search utility that keeps you from having to search through your program folders to find those rarely used apps. Cocktail is shareware and the others are free, and all can be found at VersionTracker.com... the best Mac software site around.

-Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.