Upgrading from 2 to 4 Gig RAM?

Reaction score
Upgrading from 2 to 4 Gig RAM on MacBook Pro?

I recently purchased a 15" Macbook Pro and I am looking to increase the RAM from 2 to 4 gig's. When researching the memory choices, some comments were made that there were potential issue's with certain types of memory. What do I need to know before I make this purchase? Are there issue's with certain types of manufacturers? Also, I'm not very techy so keep it somewhat simple. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I recently purchased a 15" Macbook Pro and I am looking to increase the RAM from 2 to 4 gig's. When researching the memory choices, some comments were made that there were potential issue's with certain types of memory. What do I need to know before I make this purchase? Are there issue's with certain types of manufacturers? Also, I'm not very techy so keep it somewhat simple. Thanks!

Don't make the mistake of buying 2GB of RAM and thinking you are set to go because you have 2X1GB RAM in your machine. To fully upgrade to 4GB you need 2X2GB of RAM.

Reaction score
my friend did that, brought and iMac, wanted to upgrade from 1GB ram to 2, first he brought ordinary Ram, not for notebooks and only 1GB :D so... total failure :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Out of interest, why are you thinking of upgrading? 2gigs is actually a decent amount for most things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.