• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IQ Test: Mac is to Lexus, as PC is to _____

Reaction score
:)

My neighbour had a few high end domestic vehicles and just experienced endless problems and then finally bought a Lexus. Whenever I talked with him he had nothing but praise for it. Lately he decided to try an Audi S4 and says his older Lexus is still a better vehicle than his new Audi. Buyer's remorse I guess.

From my experience, it seems to me that Apple, like Lexus, is creating better integrated and reliable products than the other manufacturers. Fortunately, for once a "domestic" seems to be winning the battle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I'm starting to get really tired of the whole "Mac vs. PC" comparison.

It's Mac vs. Windows vs. Linux vs. GNU vs. Solaris vs. Plan 9 etc.

PC means "Personal Computer", and a Mac is a personal computer. It just runs different software. The hardware is the same that you'd find in any box made by Foxconn, with the exception of EFI and of course, the shiny pretty case the components come in.

As far as the thread is concerned, if a Mac is comparable to a Lexus, a Windows PC is comparable to a Honda. Nothing too flashy, just a basic, dependable mode of transportation, but that doesn't mean you can't add a body kit, bolt on a turbocharger or two, and blow the doors off the fancy pants Lexus.

I'd go so far as to even give a Linux PC comparison to a '31 Model A. If you don't know what you're doing with it, it's pretty much crap, probably barely even works, but if you know your way around under the hood, you can have yourself a hot rod.

(P.S. Lexus isn't a domestic, they're a Toyota owned brand.)

OP
C
Reaction score
Good points! However, Apple would be considered domestic wouldn't it? (Maybe overstated/misled in saying it's 'winning the race' though, as I don't know where it's market share growth is coming from. I finally bailed on Windows and assumed others were too.)

It seems to me that Windows-PCs aren't, or weren't, as well integrated as over the years I've always had problems with my PCs (HP, Sony, IBM, etc.) and friends with Apple products ( Apple O/S-PCs ) just haven't ever complained about having a lot of problems.

Note: A few years ago I went into a story and said I was tired of the problems I always had with Windows-PCs and was again talked into trying a Windows-PC once again. Well, over a couple years - increasingly had more and more headaches.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me six or seven times, shame on me. Like my dad said when he got his first Toyota - Gee, it's the first car he hadn't had to take back to the dealer to get a list of things fixed up. Basically a good product right out of the box.

Reaction score
I am sick of seeing this argument also. I think DMcNelly's original post was completely correct. If apple is to Lexus, a PC is to Toyota. All a lexus really is is a luxury version of a Toyota. Same parts, same motors, same frames, etc. A lexus just has more luxury features (ie: woodgrain, sound deadoning, softer struts/shocks, etc).

Also, I hate when people say that Apple has no problems and/or their PC always had problems. They are the same exact computers running a different OS. I personally have used both OSX and Windows (and dabbled with Linux) for the past 5 years, and have used solely windows for much longer. I never have major problems with any of the Windows based PC's I own. The whole argument just doesn't make sense to me. I think the people who have problems with their Windows PC just either choose to not know how to maintain them and fix simple problems, or choose not to and then complain about it. I have had problems with both OSX (and apples hardware) and Windows (both custom built boxes and store bought brands). This whole OSX vs Windows argument is ridiculous if you ask me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
No wonder people still talk smack about using a mac, cause all we do is talk trash back to them. All computer have the ability to be a "Lexus" or what ever type of car you want all depending on what you put in it and if you know how to tune that engine up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I think the people who have problems with their Windows PC just either choose to not know how to maintain them and fix simple problems, or choose not to and then complain about it. I have had problems with both OSX (and apples hardware) and Windows (both custom built boxes and store bought brands). This whole OSX vs Windows argument is ridiculous if you ask me![/QUOTE]

Personally, Im pretty basic with my computer use (internet, word processing, a little music, etc.) and I like the fact that I don't have to "know how to maintain them and fix simple problems, or choose not to and then complain about it." My Mac has worked from day one, I've never had to sit through a defrag, run anti-spy, or do any upkeep at all. It just works. Now whether its because of the operating system, or whatever, I like Mac because it is easy. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Personally, Im pretty basic with my computer use (internet, word processing, a little music, etc.) and I like the fact that I don't have to "know how to maintain them and fix simple problems, or choose not to and then complain about it." My Mac has worked from day one, I've never had to sit through a defrag, run anti-spy, or do any upkeep at all. It just works. Now whether its because of the operating system, or whatever, I like Mac because it is easy. Just my two cents.

You know, you probably should sit down and run it through maintenance once in a while. Download Onyx, run some scripts, clean out some folders. It really does improve the way your system runs.

The majority of people who purchase computers of any sort don't know how to maintain their system and they generally just complain about how slow the system is. Of course, most people buy Windows PCs, because it's the status quo, it's the easiest to get software for, and generally it's cheaper. It gets them on the internet, it runs Word, and it plays their music, just like your Mac does, but it probably cost them 1/3 what you paid and will probably give them 3x the problems down the road.

You're lucky because you're running a Mac and not having any problems thus far, but no matter how reliable the vehicle, you should probably change the oil every once in a while. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.