Why Mac?

Reaction score
You have all probably seen my other Poll, but here's another one!
Why Mac?
I'm really talking about the OS, not the specs of the computer.

Pretty simple, right?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Then your poll should be why OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1 Ghz 4GB RAM 120GB HDD, iPod Touch 16GB, iPod Shuffle 1GB, BB 8130
Because my PC had so many problems yet no viruses. Just the fact that my printer drivers would dissappear and Java would run 52 times.

Its just a broken system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Old OS (a RedHat flavor of Linux) was fine, but getting a bit long in the tooth. Apple finally provided a low cost entry level machine so I figured what the heck? It's a UNIX and a modern one at that. Plunge in I went, and here we are with me posting this from my second generation Macbook.

Wife started hating XP quite a lot, so I did the same thing for her with the Mac Mini thing. Now she has a similar generation Macbook (albeit black) which now has Leopard. She couldn't be happier. Well, we all could but that's another post. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
I used a friends Mac with 10.4, and the ease of use did it for me. I bought one about a week later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
Because I got tired of hearing my daughter tell me I need a Mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me it's all about OSX. That is the reason I went to a Mac full time is because of OSX.

I work with Windows systems daily and get fed up with all the issues with Virus's and Spyware. It gets tiring having to rescue someone system from all those nasties.

At the end of a hard day of repairing Windows systems it's nice to use OSX for my own usage and be able to kick back and relax. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well my situation was quite different, the first computer I had fully at my disposal was actually an old iMac, but out of nowhere I had a desktop PC and stayed with it for quite some time, u know games bla bla ;) ... my last computer was a ThinkPad T40 which suited me perfectly and I didn't absolutely need a new laptop at the time, but then I though "a Mac" and didn't think for a second more and got it :) best move I ever made :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
I had used Macs from time to time doing studio work (I'm a drummer). Although my first couple experiences with them were a little frustrating (OS9 is a really convoluted OS IMO), once I used OS X Panther on my friends MDD Power Mac, I was f'ing sold. We were recording, and he taught me how to use Protools for Mac, which was about 3000% more responsive than Windows versions I had used. Once they went Intel, I made the decision to buy one ASAP, it took me a while but I got one. PPC processors had really fallen behind right before the transition and the ability to dual boot really helped ease some anxieties about switching.

Before any classic junkies bust my chops about hating OS 9, my first experience with it was on a Bondi Blue iMac G3. What a painfully SLOW OS, and that original iMac mouse was horrid, I think both those factors soured me on OS 9. My buddy had one at his studio for musicians to surf the net with, he said 90% of them got fed up with the mouse and gave up after about 10 minutes so they paid better attention to the tracking, lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
depends on when you used it, it's basically a painfully slow computer :D but I got used to the mouse, even though at home I had the later version which is an optical see-through mouse :) looks modern even today

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
What about the fact the hardware is beautiful?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
me anxieties about switching.

Before any classic junkies bust my chops about hating OS 9, my first experience with it was on a Bondi Blue iMac G3. What a painfully SLOW OS, and that original iMac mouse was horrid, I think both those factors soured me on OS 9. My buddy had one at his studio for musicians to surf the net with, he said 90% of them got fed up with the mouse and gave up after about 10 minutes so they paid better attention to the tracking, lol.

MacOS versions 8-9 were awful. Classic is perhaps the worst OS I've ever had the displeasure of using. Of all the computer companies that existed in the early days of personal computers, Apple least deserved to survive, in my view. It wasn't until OS X that the Mac became appealing to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Agreed there. I think Classic just didn't have the right "bones" under the GUI. With OS X at least you know it's UNIX when all is said and done with a different (to me equaling better some *NIX geeks would disagree) Window X system on top. Classic's Finder was hard to read when looking at file structures, memory management was archaic, etc etc. Back then, it was no wonder M$ was crushing them with Windows 95, it was so much easier to use and well organized. And I agree, the hardware being so well thought out and well constructed sold me on it too.

hej

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz aluminum MacBook
The poll seems to leave out the hardware part of the equation. I like OS X (more than I realized I would), but it's the aluminum MacBook being exactly what I wanted hardware wise is what justified the 'switch' (even though it was a couple hundred more than I wanted to spend).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My boy you have far too much time on your hands with these polls!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.