HELP..New 2 Mac, clueless & stuck!

Reaction score
Hi
I made the grand switch from a pc to a mac a couple days ago, I brought a ibook g4 from a refurb shop on ebay and I love it, its only got a 100gb memory but its enough for now!
anyhoo, few questions

**How do I set it up so when I switch it on it asks for a password
**I have changed the account name but sometimes it will show up as nopassword? how do I change that!
**I just downloaded some add ons from the mac site, icons and a screen saver but how on earth do I set them up to use on the mac?
**can I delete safari from the dock and have firefox as my main default browser?
I think thats it for now!!

Love mac! never want to use a PC again!

Ooo photo editing programs thats not gimp???!!!

thank you

lush nova :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
I think I can answer a few, provided you're running Leopard. I'm not sure if you can on an iBook or not, I'm not good with the past computers and OSes.

But anyway
1. Go to System Preferences>Security and from there you can control whether or not you want a password to unlock it when it wakes up from sleep. If you need to set up a password go to accounts.

2. Go to System Prefs>Accounts and check to make sure you have a password

3. Not quite sure on that one, I know a little about it, but I don't want to confuse you because I'm not sure.

4. Drag Safari off the dock and it should 'poof' away. When you open Firefox it will ask you to make it your default browser. Click yes.

If you're not running Leopard, then disregard the above.

Hope I helped and enjoy your Mac!

Reaction score
Glad your happy with your mac.
To change icons:
Go the app,folder, etc. that you want to change the icon on. Right click the file>Get Info. Then go to the icon you downloaded in finder click on it so you can see the preview of it in Finder. Drag the icon preview image onto the upper left icon in the Get Info screen. That should change the icon. There is also the app Candybar, which is very handy.

To change the screensaver:
System Pref>Desktop & Screensaver>Screensaver tab. Click the plus sign in the lower left then choose the folder location of the screensaver you downloaded.

If you have Tiger it should be the same process. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
dbnoise is right about the icons and the screensaver. I do icon switching a different way, but dbnoise's way is better.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok Im slowly turning my mac into pink heaven! (I hate pink so every I own is pink!! dont ask!)

Im slowly managin to do the icon thing, but some icons wont change, no matter how i do it! Also I cant seem to do a right click on the finder (its not in the applications folder?!)
thanks for the help really apperciate it!

Reaction score
Ok Im slowly turning my mac into pink heaven! (I hate pink so every I own is pink!! dont ask!)

Im slowly managin to do the icon thing, but some icons wont change, no matter how i do it! Also I cant seem to do a right click on the finder (its not in the applications folder?!)
thanks for the help really apperciate it!

Try candybar it will change many of the icons you are having problems with.
Panic - CandyBar 3 - Change and Organize Your Mac OS X Icons and Dock

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.