Newbie to world of Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
After wanting a Mac for several years I finally bought myself an Mac. I got myself a 13" MacBook. I got it from my local PC World store dispite the salesman trying to put me off by saying there are loads of viruses for Macs.

Any how I am on a learning curve but so far it seems very easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Interesting, if the salesman was doing that, then one would have to question PC Worlds right to be a reseller!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Maybe he meant that if you install Windows on your Mac you get exposed to viruses from the Windows world? .... who knows.

Anyway I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase, as for viruses they are not that common on the Mac, yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
mac OS is built on a swarm of security features. There is no reason to worry about viruses, at least until macs become much more popular :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I have had this Macbook for over 2 years and ran an AV programs and it didn't find a single thing. :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Plus at the present time, there are only a couple of trojans and no viruses currently exist in the wild that can affect your Mac.

Reaction score
Plus at the present time, there are only a couple of trojans and no viruses currently exist in the wild that can affect your Mac.

does that count people who dl alot of adult content aswell hahaha

oh but thats really one of the most appealing features, the lack of destruction that some other mug can do to my machine.

Reaction score
Maybe he meant that if you install Windows on your Mac you get exposed to viruses from the Windows world? .... who knows.

Anyway I am sure you will be pleased with your purchase, as for viruses they are not that common on the Mac, yet.

Not that common! This must be the understatement of the year, in the 8 years or so that OSX has been available there has not been a single virus which has affected it.

Admittedly there has been a couple (And I do mean a couple) of trojans but, because of the way OSX is built, you would have to be a complete numpty to put one of these on your Mac as you would have to physically enter your admin password!

I'm not saying for one minute that I think that OSX is completely secure and cannot ever be breached, only that no one has managed it in 8 years. Surely some hacker out there would do it for the notoriety alone?

As for PC World, the least said the better! Terrible!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Hehe made me laugh, poor guy at the store doesn't know much does he :D

Reaction score
MacBooks... at PC World?
'Runs to PC World, which is about 1/2 a mile away'

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook
My local PC World has an entire stand to Apple Mac. The only Mac they didn't have on the stall was the Mac Pro. They also were carrying a good range of Apple Mac accessories.

MacBooks... at PC World?
'Runs to PC World, which is about 1/2 a mile away'

Reaction score
new mac lover

hi there...
i've been a PC user for over 8 years and a year and half back bought HP notebook with Vista. Honestly, i was very excited abt it then, but my excitement worn off with in a month, having to deal with "n" number of security features that constantly ask me to whether i shud allow something r not. I felt exactly the way depicted in one of apple's mac vs pc ads WRT to VISTA security feature

Many a times i regretted shutting down when i suddenly think of to check something. the bootup time is so long tht i used to avoid restart and use ny of my frnds system tht r open

After watching new unibody macbook ads, i got curious abt Apple, i spent atleast more than 4 hrs searching nd learning abt Apple/macintosh/macbooks for over a month.

the more i read the more i got excited and intrigued to buy it. the most fascinating thing abt the mac is its user group, havent seen any consumer product commanding such a loyalty,

after being to Apple store more than 5 -6 times to check the macbook specifications, scalability, (actually to touch nd feel it, its gorgeous.. is int it)..

finally, used my savings to treat myself this time, wth a new unibody 13"macbook
nd im already in love with it.

my amusement was at helm when it started as soon as i opened the lid, i cudnt believe myself the speed it woke up.

I was bit skeptical abt the learning curve, but in a weeks time i could customize it enough to make it my unique macbook.

there are lot of +ve thngs mentioned many threads, but the point is the user experience, which is really amazing

The boot up time, i have a complaint, tht is, its so fast compared to my Wintel machine, tht i have to adjust my coffee making timings. ;D ,

My fav features, the OS look, easy setup and customisation and most imp Spaces, its so cool and very useful to have lot of virtual desktops, nd i liked the installation process whch is a real breeze.

I read a lot abt the prblms in sending attachement with Mail or synching gmail address book with Apple addrss book and also setting up gtalk in ichat, but somehow, i really didnt had ny problem except synching gmail address book with Apple address book but few google searches nd thts it.. its up nd running

i really luv this machine.. nd i guess i made rite decision in switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15 - 2.8GHz - 320GB ATA 7200
I'm told "no viruses at least not yet" is almost as old as OS X itself. If it was going to happen, I think it would have by now? But with that said, c'mon, I mean really, isn't hacking & viruses so "90's, or early 00's"... and in the "what's not hot" column these days? If not, it should be, right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.