• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie: Video Quality on Youtube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook Pro 15" w/ Final Cut Studio 2, iPhone.
I recently edited a short film on iMovie. It turned out great, the quality and clarity of playback on iTunes and Quicktime player is excellent. BUT, when I upload to Youtube.com or Vimeo.com it looks terrible. The video quality is horrible...

What am I doing wrong?

Are there any video sharing websites similar to Youtube or Vimeo that upload in a Quicktime format and playback in Quicktime?? I would really prefer to host my videos in the format that looks best!

Thanks,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
I had the same problem. If you upload straight to YouTube through iMovie (which I do) use the highest possible size (which, if I remember correctly, is Medium for YouTube). Then if the movie does not automatically play in high quality, theres a little link at the bottom right of your video window that says "watch in high quality". When you click that it, obviously, plays in higher quality. Usually I put a note in the description to let my viewers know they should watch it in High Quality. Other than that you can export it even bigger to Quicktime and upload it manually from YouTube, but I don't know if your movie will fit, depending on how large it is.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Look for tips such as both of my video guides on this page which are applicable to your problem.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Macbook Pro 15" w/ Final Cut Studio 2, iPhone.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Ann, can't find it. Give an exact link if you want people to check it out, or much better search terms.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.