Wanting to make the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I already have a rather good idea of what I would like. However, I figured a little extra advice couldn't hurt in the slightest. There's a beautiful thing called a back button, located to your upper left if this thread, for some reason, displeases you.

That being said, this is what I would like as minimum specs:

• 2GB of RAM
  • 80GB HDD
  • I would prefer a superdrive (DL DVD DVD-RW burner, CD CD-RW burner) however, if it burns dvd's and reads CDs, that is fine. (I find the optical drive rather important.)
  • 2.1 processor at the least. Must be intel.
  • Leopard as the OS would be mightily preferred.
  • Must have bootcamp.
I am considering an older Macbook--preferably the black one. I have seen what seems to be a rather nice one on ebay. Would you say that would be a good choice for me? (Besides the specs, I am interested in using bootcamp, amateur photography, amateur movie editing, and such.) Its information: Black Macbook with 2.2 ghz Processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) 2GB of RAM, little use, 13" screen and a superdrive for about 894.99 with the seller having 100% feedback. It has an 80GB HDD. Is this a good price?

And another question: Would an iBook* be an okay computer to use for mainly word processing and internet? I realize they have had problems and such, but if I could acquire one cheaply (as in $100 or so,) would it be worth it? I have a friend that has one he doesn't use anymore, and seems to be willing to sell it for that price.
*I am not aware what Gen it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
I would check out apples refurbished units. You should check every couple of days because their stock changes. They have been refurbished by apple and come with a warranty and dont quote me but Im pretty sure you can purchase apple care with them.
Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
You clearly know what you are looking for, the specs you have already defined, are the main specs that people look at when looking for a new computer, aside from a video card.

The only difference in wanting a video card, would then bump you up to a Macbook Pro. Since the uses you have described do not require a video card like in the MBP, you should be fine with the Black Macbook you found.

As dabears pointed out, Apple Refurbs are great. They come with a 1 year warranty, which might have run out on something you buy used. EDIT: Yes, dabears, you can buy AppleCare with a refurb.

The iBook would be great for just internet surfing and word processing. I assume you would be getting that in addition to a Macbook, but just incase I assume incorrectly, the iBook can not run bootcamp because of the lack of an Intel processor (which I think you already know).

OP
revel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, the refurbs look great. I was considering the black Macbook because it seemed to be what I needed at a couple hundred dollars cheaper, which is great for me.

The video card matters little to me. The mac ones at their most basic are good enough for me.

This macbook still has the warranty till June, I believe, so I could still purchase Applecare.

Is 894.99 for that particular Macbook (specs in the original post) a good price? I'm inclined to think so after all my shopping around. The battery has only had 29 cycles.

And correct, it would be an addition. Would $100 for any gen of the iBook be a good price?

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
That is a good price for the Black Macbook. Not a steal, but a good price. I see people try and sell the BMB for $1000+ sometimes.

The question that needs to be asked about the iBook is; is it for yourself or someone else? You will probably find yourself using the Macbook at all times, and not touching the iBook. If it is for a girfriend/wife or family member to just be able to sit on the couch and surf, then it would be a great pickup.

OP
revel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much everyone!

I have decided not to get the iBook so far. I really appreciate the advice.

Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone!

I have decided not to get the iBook so far. I really appreciate the advice.

In my lab, I have a variety of models purchased over the last eight or nine years, back as far as an old clamshell iBook (that one was stolen one summer).

Anyway, I have, and my students regularly use, an old iBook (G3, as I recall). I use it for instructing students how to use Photoshop and InDesign, among other things, with Photoshop being their primary focus.

Simply put, it works fine. It is slooow compared to today's machines, but there is nothing wrong with it. It is the same machine I used to use as my primary laptop.

If all you are doing is internet and email and word processing, it will be just fine.

The thing to understand going in is that you are buying antiquated hardware/software that has no future. If you are content to use it only for what it is capable of and you are ok with the fact that it is old (and therefore more likely to be prone to hardware failure), there is no reason not to be content with such a purchase.

After all, it is only $100. And I am willing to bet you would get more than $100 worth of use from it.

My .02....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.