When to buy

Reaction score
So I have used macs for years going back to the cardboard box looking things from the mid 90s. I currently have a G4 power mac laptop from late 04 that is on it's last legs. I currently have a line on a slightly older 2.4 GHz black macbook for around 1100.

I am seriously considering upgrading to this model but have one big worry. Last time I bought an ipod about a month later they came out with the new generation that basically made mine obsolete. My question to all you wise people out there in cyberspace is this: when would be the best time in the semi near future to buy a new laptop, and also what would you buy?

I could probably wait a few months but not much more than that. I also don't want to spend much more than around 1500. I mainly use my computer for music, writing, email, and occasionally streaming movies from sites like hulu. Portability is a big plus, as is reliability. I spent a lot of money at the time on my current machine which I consider to have been worth it because it is still functional four years later with no upgrades since then.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my ridiculously long first post and for any advice that you may have.

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Last time I bought an ipod about a month later they came out with the new generation that basically made mine obsolete. My question to all you wise people out there in cyberspace is this: when would be the best time in the semi near future to buy a new laptop, and also what would you buy?
A previous generation item will not be obsolete simply because a newer version comes out.
"Obsolete" is a word that is thrown around far too often.

As far as when to buy something... just buy it when you are ready.
When you can afford it, when you want it or whenever you need it.

New versions will always be released and nobody will ever know when they come out until they do.
So don't stress about what's coming out next... if the machine available today will do exactly what you want it to, then it is not obsolete... regardless of what comes out tomorrow.

OP
R
Reaction score
A previous generation item will not be obsolete simply because a newer version comes out.
"Obsolete" is a word that is thrown around far too often.

As far as when to buy something... just buy it when you are ready.
When you can afford it, when you want it or whenever you need it.

New versions will always be released and nobody will ever know when they come out until they do.
So don't stress about what's coming out next... if the machine available today will do exactly what you want it to, then it is not obsolete... regardless of what comes out tomorrow.

Granted that obsolete may be too strong a word but this was right before the video came out. I had just paid around $100 extra for expanded memory and the ability to view pictures. All of a sudden these were standard plus the ability to watch video for less than I had paid for mine. It was still a great machine but man was I ******.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Apple just upgraded their macbook lines a couple of months back. I don't think you will see a feature in the next year that you will regret waiting for, besides the features that already exist on the unibody macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.