How do I access mail?

Reaction score
Hello,

I can't access the mail programme and need some help as to what I am doing wrong!

When i open mail it asks me for my full name, email and password, (should I put my password of my email or password of my mac account?) either password works so I click continue, but then i'm lost.

It is automatically on the POP account type, should it be this or IMAP or exchange?

I also don't know what to put in for my incoming mail server. I have hotmail and I have put just "hotmail" into this box, also hotmail.co.uk, and my full email etc but nothing works.

What should I be doing?!

Thank you,

Vicki

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The regular "free" hotmail account will not work in Mail.

Not sure about the paid version of hotmail.

This is why most switch over to gmail or some other service that will work with Mail.

You can use Daniel Parnell's httpmail plugin and most people have success with hotmail. Download it, when you open the dmg there will be a readme file that walks you through the installation of the app and how to set up your e-mail account. Make sure you download the correct version to match your version of OS X.

Reaction score
I was having the same problem as well, only with gmail. As Vicki asked, what password should be used. POP? Incoming mail server? Thanks for the help.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You get incoming outgoing mail servers from whoever provides your e-mail. Go search their help files. Password is going to be the password for your email account.

Reaction score
The simplest way would be to not use mail and just use the Hotmail webmail.

Alternatively, get a GMail account and add your hotmail account to that.

You can then add GMail account to Mail.

Personally, I prefer to just use GMail webmail to manage all of my email accounts and don't use Mail at all, mainly because it's accessible from anywhere and any device and there are no syncing issues. Virtually 'unlimited' storage is a plus too.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I use Mail with three e-mail accounts; .mac, gmail and hotmail. Do not have any syncing issues. Plus, I get a little notifier on my Mail icon in the dock letting me know when I have e-mail and don't need to go uselessly checking it out on the web while on my primary machine.

When setting up e-mail access, why is it that you would consider using some password other than your e-mail password? Sorry, but at least a little common sense is in order.

Setting up gmail you should first enable IMAP in your gmail account.

Then to set up gmail in Mail with Tiger or Leopard.

And as Eric pointed out, to learn how to set up any e-mail you have with a mail client (Mail, Outlook, etc) on your computer, you would go to the help files of your e-mail provider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.