What should i do?

Reaction score
Hello,

Some background info: Over the past 6 years ive had 4 different windows laptops and they have either died or just become too slow.
In March I am starting university so i am going to buy one of the new 17" macbook pro's (well, my parents are as a gift for getting accepted to my first choice university). There in lies my dilemma, do i buy now and upgrade to snow leopard, or should i wait for its release.

My question is, when i update, is there an option to leave all my documents and just upgrade the os?

And another thing, in iTunes i have over 2000 songs and most are from CD's and so the album art was really annoying to get. If i save my library to a flash drive and then put it onto the mac, will the album art be copied?

And lastly, how long do you guys think it will take me to get accustomed to OS X from windows?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Moved to more appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Yes, it is possible to upgrade your system without loosing files, however, Snow Leopard is a new OS so it won't come in the form of just a regular update, you'll have to buy it (or so I understand)

You used iTunes on windows as your main player? rare from my experience, nevertheless it should be ok to carry over all of your songs with the artwork, just Copy your iTunes Library, it has all the songs saved along with artwork

I havn't met ppl who had a terrible time switching over, my sister just switched over and she's rly no IT pro and I htink she's getting on fine

gratz on getting the laptop btw, well and getting accepted of course :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible to upgrade your system without loosing files, however, Snow Leopard is a new OS so it won't come in the form of just a regular update, you'll have to buy it (or so I understand)

You used iTunes on windows as your main player? rare from my experience, nevertheless it should be ok to carry over all of your songs with the artwork, just Copy your iTunes Library, it has all the songs saved along with artwork

I havn't met ppl who had a terrible time switching over, my sister just switched over and she's rly no IT pro and I htink she's getting on fine

gratz on getting the laptop btw, well and getting accepted of course :)

Yeah, i don't mind paying for the upgrade as long as it's easy. I use itunes for my ipod, and i like it better then windows media player.

And thanks, i have probably watched over 100 youtube tutorials so hopefully won't be too hard to change over.

Thanks for the help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.