Temporary download in Safari? Where is it?

R

Rheex

Hi to all,
with Explorer, when you watch a video clip that can't be downloaded, it is still possible to save it on our disk by getting it from the PREFERENCES/EXPLORER/TEMPORARY FILES folder, where you'll find the .mov file.
Is it possible to do the same with Safari? Where does it store the Temporary Files?

Thanks a lot,
Rheex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
Rheex said:
Hi to all,
with Explorer, when you watch a video clip that can't be downloaded, it is still possible to save it on our disk by getting it from the PREFERENCES/EXPLORER/TEMPORARY FILES folder, where you'll find the .mov file.
Is it possible to do the same with Safari? Where does it store the Temporary Files?

Thanks a lot,
Rheex

hi

depends on where safari has been set to download to.

easily sorted

choose preferences in safari
choose general
choose save to (enter e.g. desktop)

kind regards :biohazard

OP
R

Rheex

Hi Brendan and thanks for the help.
I do have Safari set to download on my desktop. But it's not what I need to know exactly: I mean, I'm looking for those quick time video clips you download and watch in your browser window, but the "save as quicktime..." option is grayed out. I think it's something some web sites do when they don't want you to have a copy of the clip on your disk. View but not get.
In Explorer it's easy to bypass it, but in Safari I have no idea, since the CACHE folder is packed with unknown .cache files.
Any idea?

Bye,
Rheex

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Temp files are in the Users/yourusername/Library/Caches/Safari folder. There is a lot of folders there so it will take some work to find stuff.

Hope that helps you out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
The option is greyed out because you need to pay for Quicktime Pro to be able to download .mov videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Or just use a different browser.

OP
R

Rheex

Hi and thanx for all the answers.

EDGEFUSION: "The option is greyed out because you need to pay for Quicktime Pro to be able to download .mov videos."

I do use Quicktime pro and the option is still grayed out. I think it doesn't sepend on my system, but on the web site.

MEYVN: "Or just use a different browser."

True, I can use Explorer and obtain the clip, but the **** browser is getting obsolete not being updated from microsft. I hate explorer and I wouldn't care if it wasn't for this little matter that's killing me in Safari.

Bye,
Rheex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you wait for the whole movie to be downloaded before you checked to see if you save it? It'll be greyed out if it isn't completely downloaded.

OP
R

Rheex

Yes I did. I waited for the whole thing to download but I'm not able to save on disk. I think it's called "kiosk mode" which is activated by the web site so you can watch the clip but cannot download it on your disk. But to watch it, the browser HAS TO download it somewhere hidden on the disk, the "Temporary Files" folder in the case of the Explorer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have learned something today. ;)

Perhaps you could go to view source, look for the link to the video in the code then copy and paste it into textedit. Add the html link code around it (a href etc.) and save it as a html document, open it and save the link target. Long winded but if you really want it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.