• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Express to Youtube

Reaction score
I have created a video in FCE and no matter what I save it as the quality on my youtube site is horrible! I captured the video right from my HD video camera directly into FCE. I have tried exporting the video by QuickTime Conversion as an Mpeg-4 and .mov. I tried saving at 1280x740 16:9, 640X480, H.264, at different bitrates with different frames per second...I have tried it all and still horrible quality. It seems to have great quality only when I export it from imovie08...but I don't want to use imovie08 because they don't have as much to offer as FCE does.

Any suggestions?

If there is no way to get good quality from FCE could I create a movie in FCE and export it to imovie08, then save it from imovie to youtube?

Also, could this have to do with a slow internet connection?

check out my youtube channel and you will see what I am talking about.
youtube.com/mybodysitetv (watch "shopping with ava")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, when I choose the "watch in high quality" option (lower right of video), the detail was great. Second, I had the feeling the aspect ratio was off. Third, I think you should use a wireless body mic for recording in places with distracting sounds such as that supermarket.

Your internet connection has nothing to do with the quality you are uploading. Of course if someone doesn't have high speed download ability, then they may be limited to the lower quality version for practical time reasons.

As I said, I found the quality great, but my video export guides may give you some further ideas.

You have to remember that YouTube re-compresses your uploads and the `normal' quality compression is very destructive to the quality. To make things worse, they display it 50% larger than the smaller size they converted it to. The great thing about it is that a small file is created which allows users to view the videos without delay, for the most part.

If you are placing the videos within a third party page, there is a way to link to the high quality version. See this link for an explanation. This link discussing the same think may be helpful too.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

"See if this video helps How to export a video made in Final Cut Express to YouTube | Wonder How To"

....yes I found this video in the past and watched it but I do not have quicktime pro.

The HD quality in all my videos are fantastic but I want the quality to be amazing in regular as well. If you visit youtube.com/hotforwords their videos are fantastic in regular viewing.

In my video called "shopping for ava" I had the dimensions all wrong, but I was pointing out that the quality is still awful regardless of the size. I made a new video on final cut express and got the dimensions right this time.
I saved it as..

quicktime compression
Mpeg-4
(in options)
H.264
30fps
1500 data rate
1280x720 HD size

Sound
ACC
192kbps
48 khz
best

It came to 90MB and the video is 6 minutes long. I uploaded it to youtube (its set to private so you wouldnt be able to view it) and the HD is AMAZING but the regular quality is awful!! I don't get it, what am I doing wrong???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As I said, you are not doing anything wrong. YouTube re-compresses your video to the formats it is going to display. The default video displayed on YT seems to be the old smaller overly compressed version. There is a link to the bottom right of the video for people to choose a higher quality, but no way to default it to that higher quality. You are SOL. All you can do is give your YT users a short blurb to click to see the higher quality.

You might want to consider other video sites such as vimeo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.