How to open .doc file in Pages

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just bought my first Mac, and needless to say am quite overwhelmed by everything. Tons of questions, of course!

However my most pressing need is I belong to a Yahoo group for my profession. I need to access several .doc files from it and they of course don't open.

Everything I have read so far says to "Open the document the Pages." That's all well and good, but how do I do that???? I downloaded the trial version of iWorks '09 and am fumbling my way around that.

I'm sure it's relatively simple and easy. Any guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just to let you know what I've already tried: When I am in the Files Section of the Yahoo Group, there's a heading of the file that says something like XXXFILE.doc and there's the Word icon at the beginning.

I click on it and nothing happens. I have the Pages icon at the bottom of the toolbar and so I drag it down there, but when I attempt to place it there, it scurries back up to the original listing.

I hope this makes sense.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to download the Word document files to your downloads folder or desktop and then drag them to the iWorks09 Pages icon sitting in your DOCK at the bottom of screen. Try that and see if the documents open correctly.

If that doesn't work, provide a link and I'll test it. I also have Office 2008 on my machine.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip - that did it! What threw me off was it looked like it wasn't loading. I thought it was searching for it and then quit when it was downloading all the time, so now I have gobs of copies of it. So much to learn...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.