Sales Pitch for a Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently type to you on a year and a half old (so not very) 17" Sony Vaio Laptop. It runs on Vista but on 32-bit, so it's not even recognizing the 4GB of ram I have installed. :[ Recently, somehow, I got a crack down the back of the casing and three screws have managed to remove themselves. This genuinely bothers me because I am very careful with my computers. The hinges for the screen are pulling themselves up and it no longer latches itself closed. Also, it has been lagging and catching since then and someone mentioned my motherboard might be cracked.

My dad has been planning to buy me a computer next fall when I transfer from my community college to a four year school, which is an amazing gift! I told him I'd like a Pro. When this computer magically developed all this damage I suggested we replace it now, and get this computer fixed.

Side note: Its possible this computer is still under warranty, I need to drive back home after classes tomorrow and look up the information (I no longer live at home)

My dad's argument:
We fix this current computer and wait as long as possible to buy anything new, so I have the absolute latest and greatest when I start at my new school.

My argument:
Mac's change generations slower than other computers, so in 9 months I'll likely buy the same computer and just be missing out on 9 months of awesomeness. Also I don't see the point of fixing a computer that's extremely heavy and fragile, cannot be taken anywhere and has a 30 minute battery life.

What are some ways to strengthen my pitch, or is he right?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
He's right, of course. Computers change constantly, and there are incremental bumps in speed quite regularly with the Intel Macs.

Besides, I can assure you that you don't have a cracked motherboard - if you did, there's no way that machine would power on. It's likely just a crack in the case, easily fixed if you could find the parts (which can be tough with Sonys). If you can prove that the damage was a defect in the material, I wouldn't see why Sony wouldn't fix it under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
You've got a decent machine right now, I would wait until you absolutely need the Pro. Its a big investment and there will most likely be an upgrade in the speed of the processor or something. The other thing is your giving Apple time to work out the kinks with the New MBP's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.