• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

mini DVD-r and MacBook w ext USB drive

Reaction score
I am trying to get video recorded with a Hitachi DZ MV550A mini DVD camcorder on to the MacBook (iMovie).

I have used Handbrake and MPEG Streamclip on both the new MacBook (mini DVD in video camera connected to MacBook via USB) and a windows-based PC (with mini DVD directly in the pc drive) to convert to MPEG4 or DV format and then into iMovie, but the process is cumbersome and the quality of the results has been fair/poor. (Disclaimer: I am not proficient with these applications; it could be user error)

I got an LG external DVD drive (USB) which I tried hoping that by connecting the drive with the mini DVD-r directly to the MacBook, I might have better luck.

The drive was recognized as a DVD_CAMERA. With four of the mini DVD-r’s, iMovie opened up, scanning began, generate thumbnails started, and I was able to import the video to iMovie directly; I never opened another application. The quality is excellent (from what I have read as I have tried to get these videos imported, I don’t see how this worked!)

With three mini DVD-r’s, iMovie opens and scanning begins, but I never get to generate thumbnails; the application just seems to hang after a while. The final mini DVD-r fails just before completing the “Generating Thumbnail” process.

Now that I have had success with this process for some of the mini DVD’s, I am hoping that I can replicate that with the others. All the discs were taken with the same camera, same finalization process. The files on the DVDs look identical; video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, VTS_01_0.bup, VTS_01_0.ifo, video_TS.vob, VTS_01_1.vob, VTS_01_2.vob.

Does anyone know why this might be working on some disks and not others? I do have different dvd brands, but there is no correlation to success with this process. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.